Taming new grown birds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Studio2770, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Because of the chicken fever, we are thinking of getting more chickens. I'm weighing the pros and cons of getting chicks vs. older birds. Individual chicken personality aside, are new grown chickens easy to tame?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Feed and slow conservative movements around them, and most will come around. In my experience the Mediterranean are more difficult to tame than some of the heavier birds.

3. Studio2770

Apr 29, 2013
    We have 5 white leghorns, 1 EE and a cochin and the leghorns are still wild at times even though we got them at 2 weeks old. We are looking at perhaps getting more cochins, EEs, orpingtons, silkies, or brahmas. We're still playing with the idea.

4. Farmgirl1000

Farmgirl1000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
    Hello!
    I would get a Silkie if you are looking for a tame pet. They are not good layers , but are excellent mothers. Buff Orpingtons are good layers and are very gentle. I got my hens when they were almost a year old. They were very wild. I spent a lot of time with them and they turned out very tame , except for one . Now I teach them tricks , they let me hold them .My Black Australorp loves to cuddle! If you really want a tame chicken , I would get young ones . I tamed my chickens, but it takes A LOT of time.( and treats)[​IMG] I fed them worms , crickets , and raisins for treats.
    Hope this helps!
    farmgirl1000

By the way.....that is amazing your leghorns are tame!!!! I have never heard of anyone having a tame Leghorn!!!

5. Studio2770

Apr 29, 2013
    Since our EE and leghorns are laying well we aren't concerned with eggs. Our cochin is getting near laying though! We just hope we wouldn't get another surprise rooster a THIRD time. Ever since our EE matured she's become the sweetest thing, got her baby chick personality back! All our leghorns have different personalities. One is a great squatter but only likes to be held for a little bit. Another is the smallest leghorn and she lets me hold her like a baby! I also managed to lay her on my head! The five of them are louder than the cochin and EE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by