Taming of the shrew. The hopeful love of a hamster

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Bunnysms, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Bunnysms

Bunnysms In the Brooder

Nov 29, 2018
    So I bought a mixed dwarf hamster from a pet store. They told me she was 2 months old. I held her for about 30 seconds and I said I would take her home. Named her Midnight. Fast forward 4 months and she doesnt really like me a whole lot. I can hold her for like 30-45 seconds before she decides she is going to nip at me. She hasnt broke the skin but she means it. She is cage aggressive and will surely go for my fingers right when I put them in her cage. I don't know what else to do to make her like me. I try hand feeding and she takes it but it doesnt get her to like me. She otherwise is very adorable and I do enjoy watching her. My last hamster was such a sweet little fellow and I wish she was like that also. Any ideas? Makes me miss 'Mr Fluffy Butt' when she is miss cranky butt

2. Butterscotchbitesfinger

Butterscotchbitesfinger Crossing the Road

Nov 2, 2018
    AU
    Well you could try getting her a pal! Sometimes that is the best thing for them is having fellow hamster to mess around with

Ducksandchickens likes this.
  3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Have to be careful with that, many hamster breeds are solitary and will not tolerate a "friend." Dwarfs may be a little less so but some will still not tolerate another hamster in their territory.

I stopped keeping hamsters because some of them are just bad tempered and never seem to get over it. Sounds like this hammie is best enjoyed with minimal handling.

4. Butterscotchbitesfinger

Butterscotchbitesfinger Crossing the Road

Nov 2, 2018
    AU
    Sorry I’m used to having guinea pigs they don’t have hamsters in AU

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    This ! As with all creatures, some just have better dispositions than others. My favorite small mammal pet has always been the rat. They are smart, inquisitive, do not have much odor and generally mellow creatures.

chickens really likes this.
  6. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

My Son got a Dwarf Hampster and that thing was terrible. We then got him a Teddy Bear Hampster because those are known to be more Docile. It was...:thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: