Taming RIR Rooster

denanner13

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Griffin, GA
Any thoughts on how to befriend my 5 week old baby? I know these guys can be agressive & I'd like to see if I can soften him up a little while he's still young. He's very curious & comes to greet me when I walk up, but shies away if I try to pet him. Thanks!

This is a copy and paste from an earlier post of mine that has been long since buried and forgotten but feel worth reading FWIW:

I have observed two types of fear in chickens. One is where they perceive you as a predator, and the other is a submissive fear. Chicks are more apt to show submissive fear because at that point they have not yet established their own pecking order in the flock. They will generally submit to any and all of the adult chickens in the flock, and this would include humans. This happens usually at around 3-6 weeks of age. Right about the time the adult chickens will begin to peck at them to remind them of their places. Chickens are smarter than what we give them credit for and they know what eye contact is. So avoid eye contact with them since they can perceive that as a threat. NEVER chase a chicken or let other chickens observe you chasing one. Nothing will make you more unpopular with the flock than chasing one. Over handling them can backfire on you too especially if they are already fearful of you. The best way to tame them down is with plenty of time and patience. Pull up a chair and spend a few hours with them. Even get down with them on the floor/ground if you can so that you are at their level. Bribes can never hurt but allow them to get accustomed to your hands without grabbing for them or trying to pet them (most chickens do not enjoy random petting). Allow them to come to you, and they will. Some breeds take to people more than others and some individuals never do tame down.

An added note about roosters. Rooster aggression can be compared to aggression in dogs. One is a fearful aggression. A rooster will attack out of fear and self defense and the other is territorial. Making a pet out of, or taming a rooster does not assure you that he will not attack you. Many become confused as to where they stand with humans. Some will accept treats, taking the treat from your hand and hitting you with both feet all in one go. Others will attempt to court and mate with people which can appear aggressive as well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom