taming silkies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by alex, Jul 10, 2007.

1. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    What are the best ways to tame silkie chicks?? Anything helps. Thanks!

-alex

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You have to hold them alot and offer them small amount of treats. When you pick them up an they freak out, don't let them down right away. Hold them till they are calm and they will learn you are not trying to hurt them. Stroking their necks under their beaks and keeping a hand under their feet also helps calm them. Be sure to carry them around when you are doing chores and they will become tamer as time goes on. Good luck.

3. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    I hold mine a lot and talk to them a lot. I also hand feed them a favorite treat. The best one that has worked for me is meal worms. They go crazy for them! They are easy to raise so you can have an endless supply on hand. The best part is they are very nutritious for them too.[​IMG][​IMG]

4. Spring

Spring Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    How do you raise meal worms? Just wondering. I would like to try this idea. THANKS![​IMG]

5. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Quote:how do you raise meal worms??

6. peepsnbunnies

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    I have to go out of town till later this evening, but I will post how I do it later tonight.

Lisa

7. peepsnbunnies

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Hi,
    Raising mealworms is easy. I got a clear plastic shoe box or small sweater box and placed approx 1 inch of chick starter in the bottom. I also put some oatmeal in too. The mealworms eat the chick starter and oatmeal and also lay eggs in it. I purchased the mealworms from the pet store, and put them in the box. A couple of times a week I slice an apple or potato and lay it on top of the chick starter for the mealworms to get moisture and they eat it too. When it starts to get yucky, I take it out. The worms will soon morph into a whitish pupa, and then into black beetles. The beetles will lay eggs in the chick starter and soon more little worms will appear. You can start new colonies with the black beetles. I keep several colonies at different stages of the cycle. The mealworms will shed their skins many times, I take my box out into the yard and gently blow out the old skins to keep the box from getting too messy. I do not put the lid on the boxes as it will hold in too much moisture and will start to mold. I keep my boxes on a shelf in the garage and they do quite well.

Lisa:jumpy

8. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    hummm ill have to try it..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by