Taming the Evil Rooster!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rattie, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Rattie

Rattie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2012
    Wow!!! I just found the most amazing website on how to make my teenage Welsummer 'roo behave. http://shilala.homestead.com/roosters.html She is the rooster-whisperer and her tips for making sure roosters know who's the boss will save many from the stewpot, I am sure. I've already begun cuddling my roo, much to his chagrin, and he's definitely understanding I'm in charge of him AND the girls. He was starting the wing-dragging dance with me, and I don't want him thinking for one second I'm going to be dominated by him. I have my boys gently dominating him as well, holding him firmly and stroking his head, touching his comb, etc., just to make sure he understands humans of all sizes will be benevolent dictators over him. It sure seems to work so far!

2. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

Thank you for posting that!

3. Rattie

Rattie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2012
    Steve, I've only been doing it a week and already notice a big difference. He's not aggressive around me any more, and is much calmer.

4. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

Good info. We have a young cockerel that we acquired a month ago that thinks he's the boss. We'll see about that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by