Taming/training Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mother4Jesus, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Mother4Jesus

Mother4Jesus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    New York
    I had Red Star chickens in the past and they were a nightmare. The Roo was extremely aggressive and would go after EVERYONE. The females were aloof but when my daughter, (2-1/2 - 3 years old at the time), was outside with a colorful dress, they would all surround her and I was always a nervous wreck.[​IMG]

Those were given to us, so we got rid of them and are now starting over.

I ordered 15 Buff Orpinton's. 1 Roo and 14 hens. I'm giving two away so i'm going to have 12 and 1. I decided to go with BO's because everyone who has them, loves them and says how friendly they are. I"ve NEVER heard a bad thing about a BO Roo.

What can I do to help ensure that they will be comfortable and friendly??

Would holding the roo help with him becoming aggressive in the future??

Thanks and God Bless,
    Laura

2. farmer12

farmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2012
    i would hold all mine everyday and now there super nice chickens

3. Mother4Jesus

Jan 1, 2012
    New York
    THank you....This is what I was planning on doing.

4. refamat

refamat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    Blaine, WA
    I guess I've been lucky with roos. Haven't been attacked or even challenged by any of mine. I have, however, been asked for treats by them and have had some hens that can't wait for me to fill the feeder and will try to jump up to get at the scoop. My muscovy drakes did the same, they would try to jump up to get to the scoop. My tom turkey follows me around, fluffed up and drumming with bravado when I'm close by but never has attacked.

5. ben is a terror

ben is a terror Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    I cuddle my babies all the time. I also sing to them. I did have a bantam roo chase my king Shepard ( 105lb) into the house [​IMG]

6. SamanthaBrooke

SamanthaBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Jefferson, GA
    I started out holding mine everyday and touching their wings and feet and heads and by week 3 I started giving them treats in the palm of my hand, like purred carrots or apple flesh and a small bit of meal worm, I just started by setting my hand in there and held silently still until the boldest of chicks came to try the treats then they all wanted to try the treats. Now, its been just a few days since I've started this and they LOVE me, they come running when they see my hands and I talk very quietly to them as their ears are sensitive and any loud vocal vibration sends them running to all corners, they will sleep in my hand and I can pick them up and snuggle them, now I have created a problem where they are trying to jump out of the brooder to get to me, only one has succeeded...

7. Back2MyRoots

Back2MyRoots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Auburn, Alabama
    Hi Laura. I'm Laura too!
    I am firm believer that daily handling is the best way to get mellow chickens. Hand feeding food and treats is a great way to make them fall in love with you too!
    Good luck with your chicklets!

8. wayne hulgan

wayne hulgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    do you have a reason to have a rooster? If you are not going to raise little chicks, get rid of the rooster the hens will like you much better. your hens will think you are the rooster. no roosters here
    friendly hens.

9. Mother4Jesus

Jan 1, 2012
    New York
    yes, I want chicks.

Ok, so lots of handling and love. I will implement the treat idea too. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by