"Taming" your chicks/chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Steergirl, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Steergirl

Steergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston Area
    What is the best way(s) to make a chick/chicken a better pet? We got our chicks for eggs but being able to hold and pet them when they are outside would be nice! I would like it if us holding them didn't make them think we are out to hurt them. They are 4 wks old and still in the brooder so right now it pretty easy to hold them and stuff but its gonna be different when they get outside![​IMG][​IMG]

2. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    We hold ours everyday. One word of caution if you have kids, don't let the chicks out on the floor. We had a horrible accident with my three year old daughter and one of the chicks. Ours act flighty until we are holding one, then they are fine.

3. 6chick*start

6chick*start Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    NE OKlahoma
    I only have 6 chicks to start. They were days old when I bought them, now 3 weeks.
    I pick them up several times a day and always say 'hi girls' as I walk by their crib.
    Put your hand in low and let them come to you. They will come!
    They LOVE me and seem more intent on flying up to me than getting the treats I put in.
    Oh yeah, treats, treats and more treats.
    Finished the coop today and the girls are spending their first night outside...oh they grow up so fast !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by