1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tammy dead at the feeder

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlueMoon, Jan 16, 2008.

1. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    When I came home from work yesterday (I sometimes work and don't spend all of my time on the BYC), one of the Golden Comets, was standing at the feeder, dead. I couldn't tell if she was maybe frozen, as she was in the cross breeze of the open hatch open and open front door, I brought her in and she didn't recover.

I couldn't find any signs of trauma, but it was as if her beak was stuck in the feeder and thus what was supporting her stand.

I've been monitoring the lot rather closely, as we have new chickens, a few sitting on eggs and a full infirmary. I hadn't noticed anything wrong with her, bar feathers reluctant to come in. In fact, she was the model for the saddle guards.

Any thoughts to what could have done her in?

She was of the chickens who liked to come gardening with me - I'll miss her. [​IMG]

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    [​IMG]

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Im not sure about what may have happened to her, but at least she went out doing what she loved.

Seriously, I'm sorry for your loss.... :aww

4. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dear Blue moon, she looked like a sweetie pie, its a shame when they just up and die like that, chickens are notorious for it.
    Hopefully one of the others will step in and help you in the garden like she did.
    RIP sweet little hen.
    :aww

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Poor sweet hen...so sorry.....
    JJ

6. karri25

karri25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    I'm so sorry:(

7. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry for your loss. [​IMG] It is always so hard to lose one of your girls. Or boys for that matter. We all love our chickens. SIGH! [​IMG] <>< Barb

8. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    So sorry for your loss. [​IMG] What a bummer!

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm sorry for your loss...
    I don't have the faintest idea of what might've been wrong...but that's how I wanna go...with my face in my food.

10. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Something that sudden makes me wonder if it could've been like a stroke? So sorry for you; we have a bunch of Golden Comet/Shaver Red hens; they are funny and curious and ours have been very hardy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by