Tandem tractor build - busy day! (pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kristenm1975, May 19, 2009.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    These are two Catawba Converticoops under construction, one pine/spruce and one cedar. I'm LOVING the cedar! It's so beautiful, first of all, and it's nice and soft so the screws go in like a dream. I can't wait to see how it looks when it's done.

If you have a cedar coop, I'd love to hear your recommendation on coating it with anything or leaving it the way it is. Does it need a weather sealer like other wood?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. farmerboy

farmerboy New Egg

May 14, 2009
    anywhere usa
    if its "red cedar" or "westen" red cedar then no u dont need to put anything on it mine after about a year or so trun to a nice light almost silver coler i have to "a"frame one like yours and one i use for my sitting hens and the coop is sided with white cedar heart wood with nothing on them for about 2 years and still look good:)

3. lovelychicken

lovelychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    I was considering those for a movable source along with the permanent run but looks like they only house a couple chickens, I have four. How many do you have?

4. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Hello lovelychicken! These tractors are designed to fit six or more full size chickens based on the 4 sq ft per bird rule of thumb. The bottom is 8ft by 4ft and the loft portion is 8 ft by 2 ft, so there's a lot more room than it looks. If you go to the Catawba Converticoops website, he breaks it down for you. I heartily recommend this design! These two I'm building are my 5th and 6th ones in two months and I've really enjoyed building them. The instructions he gives along with the design are excellent.

5. Beths_husband

Beths_husband New Egg

May 4, 2009
    Do you have the bottoms wire in also? i noticed on his site that the coop was not sitting on the ground all way around. any problems with anything getting in (or out)?

i am looking to make something portable, but there s not alot of space in my yard where it will sit level.

thx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by