Tangled and Killed in electric poultry netting

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dacy Meadow Farmer, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Dacy Meadow Farmer

Dacy Meadow Farmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    Westport
    Came home to a sad scene. One of our 5 week old Freedom Rangers got tangled in the Premier 1 Poultry Netting and was killed. He got his head in and then must of struggled, but then the wire got up under the bottom of his breastbone and he was really tangled badly. The electrical current most of them killed him. There was some scraped skin and signs of a struggle. It was in a section that the bottom was not very tight, which I'm going to correct, so maybe increased the chances of getting tangled.

Anyone else have this problem?

Very sad. I'm mad. I had all 31 chicks, hadn't lost one. I was hoping to proudly get 100% of the chicks to 12 weeks and then a freak accident. I'm going to get all the netting really tight to maybe prevent this from happening again.

I know they are young and if they were bigger it would have not happened, but I'd rather have them ranging as much as they can.

2. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    i am really, really sorry for your loss.

3. Dacy Meadow Farmer

Dacy Meadow Farmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    Westport
    Quote:Thank you. All those things you can never anticipate. I thought I had read someone else having a similiar experience. The poor little bugger was really tangled. I hate losing one to an accident like that, but I guess it is a jungle out there and we all lose chickens in a lot of different ways.

It was just another lesson in life and death for my 4 year old daughter. She carried it over to a rock where we bury animals when they die and I dug a hole which she then layed the chick in and covered it with dirt all by herself. She then said that she was a "good chicken mama"

4. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    aww what a strong little sweetheart.

maybe you should post this over in meat birds... a lot of us are raising rangers and i'm guessing someone there is also using netting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by