Tanning a piece of deer hide

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by momma's chickens, Oct 22, 2008.

1. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I have been searching the net, but hoping maybe somebody on here will will know the answer. My ds shot his first buck this fall and I want to preserve the memory for him by making him a shadow box with a piece of the deer hide, the shell from the bullet and a pic. I cut a piece of the deer hide off and then we disposed of the rest. I am hoping to make this for Christmas for him. The piece is about 5" by 4". I have scraped all the icky stuff off and disposed of all the ticks, there were WAY too many for my liking. I had it stored with salt on it and in the frig. Now I am not sure what to do with it. I don't know if I need to dry it and then treat it or what. It is just going to be in a box or it does not need stretch .

Does anybody know a simple way to do this?

2. happyheart

happyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Thornville, Oh
    Hey got some help for u... I sent u an email about my sis n law [​IMG] in Idaho

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  3. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Brain tanning

I take it you disposed of the deer brains already? You could always get some cow brains from the butcher shop.

4. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
  5. momma's chickens

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Happy heart, thank you I emailed her.

Rosalind, yes we did and I don't want to sound like a baby here, but I don't want to brain tan. To me that is just not an option, I appreciate the info though. I just want to know a simple way to take care of this. I know people do and they must be must stronger than me. I am a wus! [​IMG][​IMG]

6. momma's chickens

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Chickenboy8, thank you for the link, I will look into that product.

7. CrowinKing

CrowinKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    10 mule Borax

8. momma's chickens

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    CrowinKing, okay now that is what I was looking for, I have some of that on hand, what do I do with it. LOL

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I could give you the blow by blow but you need to get that salt rinsed off the hide as soon as possible.

Check out the Forum at http://www.braintanning.com they have some great info there.

Just know that it requires the brains of either the deer or pork. [​IMG]

Let me know if you want step by step...just PM me. I braintan hides from deer all the way to full buffalo. [​IMG]

10. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Did you get an acceptable recipe for tanning yet? I have one that calls for water, salt and alum.... I did a racoon skin a number of years ago that turned out a.o.k.. Let me know if you still are in need and I'll dig it out for you. I'm time limited this morning or I'd get it for you now....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by