Tanya

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tanya1, Jan 25, 2017.

1. tanya1

tanya1 Just Hatched

Jan 24, 2017
    Hi
    I am a new member and have a small flock of 6 bantams and 2 white Silkies. Just had 4 new chicks which are so cute:)
    I do have few questions and will try send a photo of one of my hens comb later, it's looking pale and she has plucked a few feathers, treated for mites, but getting paler.
    Tanya, Essex in U.K.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
  3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Tanya, thanks for joining us.

I hope your girl will be ok, the link Ol Grey Mare gave you will take you where you can find the best help.

Good luck!

4. tanya1

tanya1 Just Hatched

Jan 24, 2017
    Thank you so much will try to send photo on the link.

I have learnt so much from reading your forums that I thought o would join :)

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under tanya1 [​IMG] Welcome!

I am sorry to hear that your little girl is possibly unwell. Definitely post on the Emergencies & Diseases Forum as suggested but I also wonder if she could be going broody?

Pale comb and plucking of chest feathers are signs of a broody hen.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

6. tanya1

tanya1 Just Hatched

Jan 24, 2017
    Hi,
    Thanks for your advice and I hope it is something simple like that, I have just hatch four chicks so wonder if she has heard them, can the sound of chicks make a hen broody ?

Tanya

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, Tanya, and [​IMG]! it is great to have you aboard!

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hey tanya1

While I do not believe it is a proven fact, lots of us believe that broodiness is contagious [​IMG]

I believe it is possible that the sound of chicks or another broody might give the hormones of a hen who is prone to broodiness a gentle push but I also believe there are others who will disagree.

9. HARRY47264

HARRY47264 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2016
    Bismarck AR
    Welcome Tanya[​IMG] Where do you hail from and post some pics of your flock have a nice nite
    Harry

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    nice to meet you Tanya. I do believe the sound of baby chicks could bring on broodiness in another hen., if she is of a broody breed (like Buff orps, cochins, silkies, etc.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by