Tap water for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AGinPA, Apr 21, 2008.

1. AGinPA

AGinPA Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2008
    What type of water do you use for your chicks? Is it ok to just give the chicks filtered water the way we drink it? Our tap water is pretty good quality. We use a Brita filter. There is fluoride in the water which I guess could be a problem. I never thought about it until I read something the other day that said to always boil water for chicks.

2. montana girl

montana girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2007
    Kalispell, Montana
    Wow.. I had never heard of the boil water thing.

My chicks are over 2 months now and have always just been given tap water, they did fine on it.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have well water. Chicks in the house get tap water. Chickens in the barn get hose water.

4. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Quote:Same here. No problems. I have never heard to boil water or use filtered water for chickens.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I also use well water and haven't had any problems. I'm not sure about the fluoride though, sorry. [​IMG]

6. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    I use our well water. I would do some checking on the fluoride...I recently saw a documentry about a woman in Colorado whose horses were constantly ill with a mysterious sickness and some even died. After several years of huge vet bills and wrong diagnosis it was discovered they were being poisoned by fluoridated water. She discovered it by noticing they would rather eat snow then drink out of their water tubs. I don't know that it's bad for poultry but I didn't know that about horses and I've made a living with them for 19 years.

7. BeautifulBlue

BeautifulBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    UK
    I have always used tap water and had no problems

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by