tape worms from goats

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickengirl1193, Oct 26, 2013.

1. chickengirl1193

chickengirl1193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    I got my four hens a little over a week ago and about 5 days before they arrived i treated my two goats for worms and after reading up about how worms are transferred from one animal to another, I was thinking I might need to treat my hens for worms but I'm not sure. my goats are worm free and I haven't noticed anything with the chickens but I dont want to wait till it's too late. should i worm my chickens? and if so with what? I treated my goats with an equine panacure given to me by my vet.

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Quite sure the type of tapes goats get are different than those found in chickens. Panacur won't do anything for tapes in goats either if I remember correctly. If you want to worm your birds, Valbazen suspension is the best broad spectrum wormer and gets rid of tapes. You can worm goats and poultry with it. It has Albendazole in it. Fenbendazole won't do anything for tapes in poultry. The oral dosage, by syringe without the needle, for Valbazen suspension is .5 cc for large fowl, and .25 cc for Bantams. Worm once, then do it again 10 days later.

Edit/correction: Panacur (fenbendazole)will treat tapeworms in goats but not chickens.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  3. chickengirl1193

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    thank you! yeah it helped my goats. should i worm them? or will it do more harm than good if they are worm free...

4. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Depending on the climate and environment determines how often you worm. In the Southern states they may worm more often. Dawg53 knows about that. I generally worm twice a year here in Northern California unless I see symptoms. I worm at the start of Winter and end of Spring. If you have new chickens like you said, and aren't sure how they were kept, a worming wouldn't hurt at all. Do they seem active and at a good weight?

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It wouldnt hurt to worm your chickens if you havnt done so. Goat tapeworms wont infect chickens. If you are using safeguard/panacur equine paste, dosage for your standard size birds is a "pea" size amount given orally to each chicken and a "small pea" sized for smaller chickens. Redose again on 10 days.

6. chickengirl1193

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    thanks for the info! the chickens are very active and they seem to be a good weight. they are still only about 5 months tho.

7. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I wouldn't be so concerned about worms then. I'd be more concerned about whether or not they have been assisted with a preventative for Coccidiosis. They seem healthy and that is what matters right now.

8. chickengirl1193

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    I got them from mcmurry who said they vaccinated for conccidiosis. should that be enough? thanks again guys!

9. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    They should be fine for Cocci,but always be on the watch and know the symptoms of Cocci,reason not all vaccines cover all 9 species(most common) of cocci,i believe one covers 8 strains,the 9th strain is often not recognized as legit in chickens,but it does exist. There is apparently in all,at least 11 strains of coccidia that chickens are susceptible to and i have not seen a vaccine that comes close to covering all of them.

10. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Alright. I've never had birds vaccinated for Coccidiosis. If they seem healthy, don't concern yourself with treatment unless you see symptoms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by