Tapeworm question

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kuntrychick, Nov 10, 2011.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    I know that in any animal that it's best to get rid of any & all parasites. But, I was wondering...do tapeworms actually hurt chickens or affect their health in any way?

I know I've heard or read that tapeworms don't really cause severe issues in dogs, maybe some mild intestinal changes. I wasn't sure if this was also true with chickens.

Do they cause them any harm? Will they eventually kill them if not taken care of, etc.?

Also, I know dogs get tapeworms by eating a flea. Is that the same kind of tapeworms chickens get? Exactly how do chickens contract tapeworms?

One reason I ask this is because there are SO many wormers out there, but many that doesn't get rid of tapeworms. I just didn't understand why they even formulate stuff to get rid of all worms except tapeworms....why wouldn't all of them also get rid of tapeworms? That makes me think tapeworms may not be a big deal (with the exception of just knowing they have them...yuck).

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I just didn't understand why they even formulate stuff to get rid of all worms except tapeworms....why wouldn't all of them also get rid of tapeworms?

They don't formulate them to NOT kill tapeworms.

It's more due to their metabolism.

Most of the worms killed by the other medications suck blood, while tapeworms absorb nutrients through their skin

Safeguard and Levemasole will kill them.

It's best to have no parasites, since they are robbing your birds of nutrition​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by