tapeworm questions

redriding

Songster
Aug 31, 2020
british columbia canada
hi! first time i’ve had to deal with these nasties and i have a couple questions … i’ve read as many threads as i could find but am still wondering …

i saw dawg53 recommended horse paste with praziquantel & ivermectin, a “pea size dose” , then again in 10 days. will this treat any other parasites if they had them or strictly tapeworm ? ** i saw the little white ovules of tapeworm but i also saw a very tiny moving thin white worm - is that tape or round worm ?

can i feed their eggs back to them rather than throwing out ?

appreciate any feed back, thanks !

Last edited:
Using a pea size dose is now outdated. It is best to get a free 1 ml needle-less syringe from Walmart or other pharmacy, normally for giving kids and animals medicine, and give an exact dose. Do you have any pictures of the worms? Which product are you using? Equimax and Zimectrin Gold are the 2 products that contain praziquantel, the drug that is best for tapeworms. Each has a different dosage. Equimax is cheaper to use. Here is a good link in post 1 with exact dosages for chickens by the pound of weight:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-tapeworms-under-construction.1220309/

Using a pea size dose is now outdated. It is best to get a free 1 ml needle-less syringe from Walmart or other pharmacy, normally for giving kids and animals medicine, and give an exact dose. Do you have any pictures of the worms? Which product are you using? Equimax and Zimectrin Gold are the 2 products that contain praziquantel, the drug that is best for tapeworms. Each has a different dosage. Equimax is cheaper to use. Here is a good link in post 1 with exact dosages for chickens by the pound of weight:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-tapeworms-under-construction.1220309/
i’m picking the meds up tomorrow from the vet. i believe our brand is called Eqvalan Gold (Canada) which sounds like the equivalent to your Zimectrin. i’m hoping they will eat the paste right off my finger but i will ask the vet for a syringe so i can measure the exact amount. i have 2 girls at 4 lbs and 1 at 3 lbs

i will try and get a picture to post, everytime they pooped today i didn’t have my phone with me 🤪

very informative ! thanks for sharing which makes me wonder how if i should somehow try to mix it before i dose them 🤔

just to confirm , they get one dose tomorrow then again in 10 days (or if the package says other ) ?
Yes. 10 days.

What do you mean by mixing it?

If you get a couple of syringes from your pharmacist or the vet...
You could have a few doses (each syringe) filled ahead of time.

Dose one bird... Then lock it up.
Move on to the next...then lock it up.

Do you have a way to keep the birds separated?

But keep everybody locked up in the coop and grab one at a time treat it then release it.

X2 on the pea size dose not being good enough. Please see this:

Thread 'The Truth About the "Pea Sized Blob" of Horse Paste De-Wormer' https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-sized-blob-of-horse-paste-de-wormer.1141545/
very informative ! thanks for sharing which makes me wonder how if i should somehow try to mix it before i dose them 🤔

just to confirm , they get one dose tomorrow then again in 10 days (or if the package says other ) ?
Yes. 10 days.

What do you mean by mixing it?

If you get a couple of syringes from your pharmacist or the vet...
You could have a few doses (each syringe) filled ahead of time.

Dose one bird... Then lock it up.
Move on to the next...then lock it up.

Do you have a way to keep the birds separated?
t
But keep everybody locked up in the coop and grab one at a time treat it then release it
mixing up the contents in the big syringe the medicine comes in before i draw it out for the girls. thankfully i only have 3 so not a huge undertaking. i was actually hoping to camouflage the paste with a treat, that’s normally how i give them meds

They will not willingly eat it off of your finger. They hate it. I hadto treat all 40 of my hens once. Fun times. Draw uphe dose in the syringe ahead of time, have someone help you hold the bird, squirter it in, put them somewhere seperate so you don't get them mixed up, rinse and repeat. Have some good alcohol waiting for afterwards. Serious pain in the butt.

They will not willingly eat it off of your finger. They hate it. I hadto treat all 40 of my hens once. Fun times. Draw uphe dose in the syringe ahead of time, have someone help you hold the bird, squirter it in, put them somewhere seperate so you don't get them mixed up, rinse and repeat. Have some good alcohol waiting for afterwards. Serious pain in the butt.
darn, so much for that plan 😐 but i guess since it’s paste it’s not as big a worry to aspirate them if you just squirt it in is it ?

Back
Top Bottom