1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

tapeworm troubles

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by callnfowl, Aug 28, 2013.

1. callnfowl

callnfowl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2013
    I just finished treating my birds with Safeguard for worms (3 doses, 3 days apart) and am still seeing live worms (I'm pretty sure tape worm) in some of the droppings. How long do I have to wait until I retreat with Valbazen? I also have 5 ducks that live with my hens. I haven't seen any worms in their droppings, but I treated all of the birds to be on the safe side. Does anyone know if the Valbazen is safe for ducks as well as chickens?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    1 person likes this.
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If it's tapeworm segments you're seeing (in the pic below,) follow the instructions in the first link that Flockwatcher provided. Also provided is a brief description of tapeworms in the link as well. I dont know about ducks, never had any.
    [​IMG]

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    According to an abstract I read, Safeguard should be given at 20mg/kg by mouth 3 days in a row to be effective against tapes. 20mg/kg is .2ml per 2.2 pounds of body weight.

I know many people use Valbazen for their chickens, probably ducks, too, but Valbazen should never be used in pigeons, doves and crias as it can cause death. It can also cause aplastic anemia in other species.

-Kathy

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do me a favor. try the Safeguard 3 days in a row and see if it works.I'd do it myself, but I've never seen any sign of worms here. Here is the abstract I read:

Efficacy of fenbendazole against helminth parasites of poultry in Uganda.

Ssenyonga GS.
    Abstract

Fenbendazole 4% (Panacur, Hoechst) administered in feed was used to treat chickens infected with Ascaridia galli, Heterakis gallinarum and Railletina spp. It was also used to treat Syngamus trachea in broiler birds. There was a marked drop in helminth egg counts in the faeces on the second day of treatment and the faeces became negative by the seventh day after the last treatment. Post-mortem examination 15 to 21 days later showed that the drug was 100% effective against Ascaridia galli and Heterakis gallinarum at 10 mg/kg. However, for complete removal of Railletina spp. 15 mg/kg was required. Similarly 20 mg/kg fenbendazole was effective against Syngamus trachea. It was concluded that fenbendazole is suitable for the treatment of the important intestinal and tracheal worms of poultry, a dose of 15 to 20 mg/kg for 3 consecutive days being recommended for use under field conditions.

Source:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6750887

6. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Good links by Flockwatcher. You can see in the Aviagen second link that Fenbendazole (Safe-guard) is not effective against tapeworms. Albendazole is, in addition to all the other worms. You mentioned 3 doses, 3 days apart with the Safe-guard. What were the doses? I've used a few different wormers over the years, but Safe-guard liquid suspension was always 1/2 cc for a standard breed, then done again 10 days later. Valbazen liquid is the same dosage for standard breeds, 1/4 cc for Bantams, then done 10 days after the first dose.

I don't know if Albendazole is safe for ducks.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Not sure I trust that link, 'cause it also says that ivermectin is an effective de-wormer, but according to an abstract that dawg found, it is NOT. I know for a fact that that Safeguard is safe to use in all species, so what's the harm in trying with Safeguard?

-Kathy

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    "Flocks at risk can be treated with anthelmintics effective against tapeworms. They contain either broad-spectrum benzimidazoles (e.g. albendazole, febantel, fenbendazole, mebendazole, oxfendazole, etc.) or specific taenicides (e.g., niclosamide, praziquantel, etc.). Most of these active ingredients are available as additives for feed or drinking water, or as tablets for oral delivery.
    WARNING: niclosamide is toxic for geese, and the combination of praziquantel with pyrantel tartrate is toxic for chicken!
    Other classic livestock anthelmintics such as macrocyclic lactones (e.g. ivermectin, doramectin, moxidectin, etc.), levamisole, tetrahydropyrimidines (e.g. pyrantel, morantel) and piperazine derivatives are not effective at all against Raillietina or whatever tapeworm."

Source:http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2588&Itemid=2870

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Here is the ivermectin info:

Ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic--trials with naturally infected domestic fowl.

Oksanen A, Nikander S.
    Abstract

To evaluate the use of ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic, 29 White Leghorn hens naturally infected with Ascaridia spp., Heterakis spp. and Capillaria spp. were treated with 0.2, 2 or 6 mg/kg intramuscularly or 0.2 or 0.8 mg/kg orally. Faecal samples were collected before treatment and at autopsy, 2, 6, or 16 days after treatment, when the intestines were also examined for helminths. None of the treatments gave satisfactory anthelmintic results.

Source:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2816174

-Kathy

10. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Albendazole (Valbazen) is just as safe as Fenbendazole, plus it eliminates tapes:
    http://japr.fass.org/content/16/3/392.full.pdf

That's why it is preferred for tapeworms rather than Fenbendazole.

The problem with Ivermectin is it is not effective against adult worms and withdrawal periods are unknown in poultry. So it is useless.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by