Tapeworms, roundworms, other I'm sure about

simkat

In the Brooder
Jan 9, 2017
I am new to this forum and new to chicken keeping, and ask for your help. I will describe the problem I have been faced with for almost a year now and would appreciate any advice you can give. I am sorry about the length of this.

I got 5 jersey giant pullets, 1 jersey giant rooster, and 1 black sex-link from my father-in-law in April when they were about 16 weeks old. I put them in the chicken house with my 3 buff pullets and 3 buff roosters I got in March (they were all suppose to be pullets) that were 10 weeks old. I wasn't aware I was suppose to separate them for any length of time or worm them at all.

I gave the jg and 2 of the buff roosters to a neighbor, and got 2 barred rock in May that were about 14 weeks old (yes, I put them in the chicken house without separating first or worming)

They all did ok getting along with minor issues, but I stayed out there for about 2-3 weeks with them from the time I let them out till roost time watching them. (each time I added new chickens)

Most of the chickens I got from my father-in-law developed a blackish/bluish face/comb for a while and then looked better. So I didn't think anything of this til later when I read it could be from worms.

I had 2 jersey giant pullet's abdomen to start swelling before they started laying (abdomen hanging in back under vent area).I took both to a vet after they started laying and was told they had "hypocalcemia and broken eggs inside them " because at that time we were getting a lot of soft shell eggs from several pullets and was given antibiotics and instructions and told they would absorb the eggs back into their bodies. I followed those instructions, but I still lost them. I had to euthanize them (In October) due to both of their abdomen's bursting open and intestine's coming out. They would still lay eggs (with hard shells, mostly)

After taking them to the vet and following the instructions given with no results I searched online for answers again but still was so confused. One day I saw a round worm (very, very long) under the roost and decided to worm all of them. (my 2 jg pullets were still alive at this point) I wormed with wazine on October 6, then wormed with valbazen one time on October 17. The first jg died on October 16 and the second died 1 week later on October 23.

This is my problem now: 2 of my remaining 3 jersey giants and my black sexlink hens have developed the hanging swollen abdomen under vent area. They are all still laying hardshell eggs ( I did find two softshell eggs under the roost on different days, but none since). I remember reading something about tapeworms needing a different approach. I haven't taken a stool sample to vet but I have seen rice like things in poop and some have diarrhea. I am afraid that my 3 with swollen hanging abdomens are already infested (that's all I can think of) and I am not sure if they will even make it if I worm them if that is the problem, but I have to try.

I think I read somewhere that I should worm with valbazen because it takes care of all worms including tapeworms and capillary worms.

Is this the dose?

0.25 ml for small breeds
0.5 ml for standard breeds (buffs and barred rock)
0.75 ml for larger breeds (jersey giants and my buff rooster)

and do I give valbazen (one), wait 5 days then give valbazen (two), wait 5 more days then give valbazen (three) again?
For a total of 3 valbazen doses in a 10 day period?
Would this take care of any worms including tapeworms and capillary worms ( I read capillary worms are deadly)?

my jg are about the same size as my buffs although I haven't weighed them (don't know how to get them to be still)

Thank you for any advice you can give me

simkat

I thought it was 10 DAYS and i assume its not per POUND OF THE BIRD,,,, Correct?
never remember reading to add it to water in the syringe either,, Not that I can recollect

just a saying thanks

Back
Top Bottom