1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tapeworms...should I treat & how to??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by glowworm, Mar 6, 2009.

1. glowworm

glowworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    Just found tapeworms in my chicken's stool. In one pile there was quite a lot. I know it's tapeworms because I'm a vet tech and they seem very similar to canine and feline tapeworms, just a bit smaller. They look exactly like the photo this person posted: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=139607

They free range in our small backyard, so they get a lot of bugs.... tapeworms need a intermediate host which I've heard on this site is earthworms/beetles for the chicken tapeworm, but I haven't done my own research.

Has anyone had experience de-worming for tapeworms??? There's quite a lot in some of the stool, more than the photo above, that's why I'm worried. Should I bother de-worming them? And with what?

2. gallo34

gallo34 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    Wormazole:

Wormazole Capsules:
    100 ct bottle. Wormazole is for Roundworms, Cecal, and Tapeworms. Give 1 capsule and then repeat treatment 10 days later. You dont need to withhold feed before using, this is a Benzimidazole class of Anthelmintic product.

3. glowworm

glowworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    gallo,

Did you have personal experience with wormazole? Where did you buy it from? Thanks in advance

4. gallo34

Feb 16, 2009
  5. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  6. gallo34

Feb 16, 2009
    "Piperazine is an oral medication used to treat roundworm infestations. Dose varies with product used. Side effects are rare. Have regular fecal exams performed to identify which worms a pet is infected with. Elimination of parasites must also include sanitation and prevention measures to ensure the pet does not become reinfected."

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+1471&aid=1463

"...I know it's tapeworms because I'm a vet tech..."- glowworm

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by