Tapeworms...Yuck!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JensChickies, Aug 26, 2014.

1. JensChickies

JensChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    Good morning everyone... I have a chicken with tapeworms...yuck. I have safe-guard suspension 10% 100mg/mL. I normally worm my chickens with rooster booster and it's been working just fine, but it doesn't take care of tapeworms. How much do I give her? The back says to give a 25 lbs goat 0.6mL. What about for chickens?

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    There is a study that recommends 0.2ml per 2.2 pounds for three days in a row, which is 20mg/kg. FYI, goats get just 5mg/kg (2.2 pounds). I would try that.

Safeguard liquid for goats/cattle should be given orally, not in feed or water!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6750887
    Efficacy of fenbendazole against helminth parasites of poultry in Uganda.

Ssenyonga GS.
    Abstract

Fenbendazole 4% (Panacur, Hoechst) administered in feed was used to treat chickens infected with Ascaridia galli, Heterakis gallinarum and Railletina spp. It was also used to treat Syngamus trachea in broiler birds. There was a marked drop in helminth egg counts in the faeces on the second day of treatment and the faeces became negative by the seventh day after the last treatment. Post-mortem examination 15 to 21 days later showed that the drug was 100% effective against Ascaridia galli and Heterakis gallinarum at 10 mg/kg. However, for complete removal of Railletina spp. 15 mg/kg was required. Similarly 20 mg/kg fenbendazole was effective against Syngamus trachea. It was concluded that fenbendazole is suitable for the treatment of the important intestinal and tracheal worms of poultry, a dose of 15 to 20 mg/kg for 3 consecutive days being recommended for use under field conditions.

-Kathy

Edited above to say Safeguard should be given orally.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I think you could also use this, but I haven verified the doses yet:
    http://www.jedds.com/-strse-510/MEDIWORM-TABLETS-100-ct/Detail.bok

[​IMG]

A broadspectrum deworming tablet for pigeons, raptors and galliforms. Mediworm is currently the only broadspectrum single dose, combination tablet, known of in the world. Highly effective against Roundworm, Hairworm and Tapeworm.

Extremely safe, causes no regurgitation and is very economical. The small size of the tablet makes it easy to dose. Mediworm is the golden standard in routine deworming.

Composition:
    . Pyrantel Pamoate 20mg
    . Praziquantel 5mg

Dosage Treatment:
    . May be used in the breeding and racing season.
    . Dose one Mediworm tablet per pigeon. The tablet must be dosed on an empty crop.
    . In case of severe worm infestations, it is advisable to repeat the treatment after 14 days.

Available Sizes; 100 tablets.

-Kathy

4. birdman55

birdman55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    so does the dose .2ml for each 2.2lbs for one gallon......?is that for each bird or just a general dose for all the birds that drink the water?

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Oops, no, that's orally. Thanks, will edit my post to say that.

-Kathy

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Ascaridia galli - Roundworm
    Heterakis gallinarum - Cecal worm
    Railletina spp - Tapeworm
    Syngamus trachea - Gapeworm

-Kathy

8. JensChickies

JensChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    Yes this is droncit...another good one for tapeworms. I actually would prefer using this but the feed store didn't carry it, they only carried safeguard.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Use Zimectrin Gold equine paste. Dosage is a "pea" size amount given orally to each chicken. Redose in 10 days. Withhold feed for 24 hours prior to worming.
    Take your safeguard back and swap it out for the z-gold.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I've never treated tapes, but I sure would try Safeguard if I ever saw any evidence of them. No reason to return the wormer unless you can't afford the $10 for a tube of Zimectrin Gold. [​IMG]

Next experiment is to figure out how many mg are in the various sized blobs of Zimectin Gold and Equimax.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by