Tapeworms!!!

Jess-97

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2022
What is the best product for tapeworms? We found some in our flock's poop about 1.5weeks ago and confirmed thats what is was with a fecal float test... I used Safeguard for goats and had some success but am still seeing segments in some droppings. I bought Zimecterin Gold yesterday and tried to administer it to each of our birds this morning on bread, but they HATED it and refused to eat even the smallest amount. I saw on a previous thread Wormer Deluxe Powder? Has anyone had any success with that or additional products? I understand they are rare, so any tips on how to avoid them in the future is much appreciated 🙏
For reference, I have 12 birds... a 7'x7' coop, 15'x32'run, pick up the poop daily, and deep clean the coop 1x/mo, offer fresh water daily and close off the food at night to keep out mice/rats.... so I don't feel like unsanitary conditions or crowding is an issue, but this is also my first flock and am still learning.
Thank you all in advance!

Zimectrin Gold and Equimax are the 2 common praziquantel products used for tapeworms in chickens. It is given orally with a syringe, or you can give it (mixed well) in a small amount of scrambled egg if you can separate each chicken. You can also use Dronsit tablets. Zimectrin Gold dosage is 0.3 ml for a 5 pound chicken, and repeated in 14 days. Here is a thread with dosages in post 1:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-tapeworms-under-construction.1220309/

Tapeworm infection happens when a bird eats a intermediate host (the host eats the eggs, the bird eats the host, then the bird is infected. If you can maybe ID what kind of host(s) your birds have access too, and decrease the numbers of those, then infection will be reduced. More here on the tapeworm life cycle and various hosts:
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/tapeworms
NOTE** the treatment chart on this page lists albendazole and fenbendazole as treatments, they are not nearly as effective as praziquantel. Albendazole only works for some kinds of tapes, fenbendazole is even less effective on them. Praziquantel is what I would use.

Back
Top Bottom