1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tapping...Not Chirping...Day 21 possibly...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by redcoopinn, May 5, 2016.

1. redcoopinn

redcoopinn New Egg

May 1, 2016
    Ok, ok, ok, I'm a new hatcher momma. My girls are so committed that there are 2 hens in the nest. One is super sweet (lavender cochin) the other is vicious and mean (all of a sudden - Barred Rock). So, ms Rosa Pecks (the mean one) came in late into the game. She thought she would 'help' Victoria (the cochin) and "let her have a break to eat". Well that turned into, "mine, mine, mine...." you get the message. So since I AM new to this, I didn't know what I was looking for when candling them the first 14th day....I suppose it was anyways. Now, I can DEFINITELY see what I should be looking for. It's ALL black in there except for about an inch of air cell (I understand the air cell reason). However, I was told even after day 19 if you move them it's ok, as long as you don't shake them and you keep the orientation the same - WHICH I DID. But before putting this baby egg'y back, I wanted to candle it to see if today was the day or when? I can't see under 2 hens of fluffiness and I surely can't get into the 2x6 coop. So I wanted to see. I saw some movement, and I even have a video of it, but I don't know if it looks like the beak is pipping. I mean when (and only when) I put the egg up to my ear I hear a tapping sound, no chirping. Am I doing everything right? How much longer do ya'll think? Everyone tells me to let them do their thing, obviously I am because I'm not sticking eggs into an incubator.....

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like everything is doing fine. [​IMG] The chick is pipping the egg inside and you should have chicks within a day or two. Let me know what happens!

3. redcoopinn

redcoopinn New Egg

May 1, 2016
    Thank you! I have been so worried. And with the temps getting cooler I'm even more worried. [​IMG]

4. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chillin' With My Peeps

The eggs should be fine, especially with two hens sitting on them. Hoping they hatch soon!

5. redcoopinn

redcoopinn New Egg

May 1, 2016
    Well, I came home to one chick dead in another chickens mouth running around with it like she won a prize. I can't see if anymore are or have hatched. So frustrating not being able to get to the Hens. I closed off the coop so just the two hens on the nest are in there. I don't know what else to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by