1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Tar Box Hollow Poultry

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tarboxhollowpoultry.com, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Treating Coccidiosis

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Keeping chickens healthy with herbs and essential oils

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tarboxhollowpoultry.com

Tarboxhollowpoultry.com In the Brooder

Oct 21, 2017
    I was raised with chickens in my backyard on a small acreage in South Dakota. I guess I liked them but never thought too much about them. I grew up got married and we bought a small acreage in Nebraska.

We lived on the acreage for several years, then one day knowing my dad had some bantam chickens and I decided it would be nice to get a few, we already had a big barn so it would be easy to keep them. We got 6 bantams and my kids and I adored them, here is where we started our amazing chicken journey.

My kids were growing up and they joined 4H, and of course logically I had to get some chicks for their 4H projects. I went to our local farm store, and to my delight, I discovered their were so many different breeds to purchase. We bought several different breeds and we had so much fun growing them up and showing them.

One thing led to another over the years and we started selling "fertilized hatching eggs" two years ago and plan to sell eggs and chicks in spring of 2018. We have around 15 different breeds, no exact number but likely around 300 birds. We have the true ameraucanas; blue, black and splash, to our amazement, we hatched several splash birds this spring, they are beautiful. We also have Salmon Faverolles bantam and standard, lavender splash orpington, blue rose combs, all colors of d'uccles, black and birchen cochins, Wyandotte's, Sussex, polish and more. Planning to get a couple more new breeds in the spring as well.

This spring I had breakouts of coccidiosis and that brought me to Back Yard Chickens for advice many times, which has been very helpful, I love the posts from members. I have been particularly interested in raising chickens naturally and keeping them healthy with herbs.

I enjoy gardening, cooking, and photography. We grow a large garden on our small acreage, my inspiration comes from my dad who was a truck farmer, we grew acers of melons and tomatoes. We eat from our garden and orchard year round. Combining my other loves cooking and photography, I designed a food blog sliceoftaste.com and blog for Grit Magazine occasionally.

One of my future plans, is to grow a large herb garden for my chickens and dry the herbs for year round feeding. From my readings here, I have been experimenting by adding herbs and essential oils to their food and water and it seems to be working. I have been using herbs, oregano, rosemary, garlic, thyme, and sage, keep the posts coming on raising chickens naturally.

Chickens are amazing creatures and we love spending time with our chickens, we like to sit and watch them scurry around the yard. We pick them up, we feed them treats and bugs, you know there is nothing like a good cricket or grasshopper to a chicken, they love'em. I am happy to be a member now of Back Yard Chickens I look forward to learning more about raising chickens healthy and naturally, keep on posting!

Attached Files:

Teila, TwoCrows, N F C and 1 other person like this.
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 9 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. So glad to hear BYC has already been helpful to you.

TwoCrows and rjohns39 like this.
  3. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Read more Premium Member Project Manager

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
    :yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
    Jump right in am make yourself at home.:highfive:
    I think the safest thing to use to treat an outbreak of Coccidiosis is Corid.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

rjohns39 likes this.
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Great job on the introduction - welcome to BYC.

rjohns39 likes this.
  5. RodNTN

RodNTN Hatchaolic 5 Years

May 22, 2013
    TN
    My Coop
    Hello there! :frow And :welcome It is wonderful to have you here with us, best wishes! :)

6. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager 7 Years

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC Broody with chicks.jpeg

You are doing a great job!

7. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    rjohns39 and ronott1 like this.
  8. rjohns39

rjohns39 Enabler

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya Loved your intro

TwoCrows and N F C like this.
  9. N F C

N F C coffee up kids! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    TwoCrows, rjohns39 and ronott1 like this.
  10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word Staff Member Premium Member 7 Years

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

You have definitely come to the right place for all the fun and learning!

I use both conventional medicine and alternative methods to heal and keep them healthy. There are times herbs and home concoctions work, however sometimes you need to step it up with dugs to save their lives.

Good luck with your chicken adventures and welcome to our flock! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: