tarps over fence sides of coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by abhaya, Nov 10, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    Our weather is hot 70+ during the day and 30 at night. Would tarps over the open wall at night to cuy any wind be ok untill the day time temps drop. I am afraid if I put on my wood sides I might have a silkie bake oven.

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    What about, instead, giving them a smaller enclosed area around wherever they roost (or sleep on the bedding, if yours do not roost). That will do more to cut drafts than a tarp, and be less aggravation b/c you can just *leave* it that way. There's a huge number of ways to do it, just see whatcha got that you can rig so it won't fall over on them. Even just a large cardboard box with one end cut out would do temporarily, put in their customary sleeping spot, until it gets soggy and starts to collapse [​IMG] - by which time you will probably have something better worked out.

Or you *could* try the tarp thing if it is only wind that's an issue and if you don't mind fiddling with it twice a day <g>

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Hi There

Where I live is pretty warm all the time. Ever so often we get a cold spell but then it warms back up.
    My dad who is a carpenter is helping me with our permenant coop which will be solid on the north side to keep the cold chilly winds out. The coop we plan to build will be a 12ft by 16 ft with a tin roof (gabled like a house, low pitch). the rest of the coop opposite the north side will be open. We will have a sand floor and the 2 ft predator skirt around it. Also planning to have a storage area inside at the main intrance which will have a brick floor (we have extra bricks about needing a purpose).

I do not think having the wood up now will hurt. As long as the chickies have plenty of ventilation it will be fine. Warmer climates need more ventilation than colder climates. However, the chickens also need a place that is dry and draft free.

I mentioned our plans as it may give you some ideas. [​IMG]

4. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:Tarps work great. A lot of people use them just for the reasons you described.

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

It gets alot colder than that here. I have been to 2 breeder farms near here, and they both use "open air," coops. It is, essentially, a fenced in area. One had little 3-sided buildings (with roof) they could go in. The other was just fencing (top and sides), with tarp or tin on the north and west sides.

Not sayin' I would do that myself, but some people do. Good luck!

6. walbarbsa

walbarbsa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    I live in Texas, too, and my coops are three sided with the open side facing south or west. They do quite well in them and I've never lost a chicken to cold weather....I've not tried the tarps, though.

7. satheeia

satheeia New Egg

Sep 15, 2011
    I love my Hurricane Covers & Tarps I bought...it's been a year since I bought it and it is in great condition. I just purchased another one today a Super Heavy Duty Poly Tarpaulin. I was so amazed with these tarps it really has good quality!

I'm gonna share this link to you where you can find great Tarps:

http://www.tarpsplus.com/hurricane-covers.html

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    70+ ? Hot? heh. Yes, like some mentioned, open to the south does very well. Yes, tarps like you describe cool things off pretty well, so long as they aren't the really thin, cheap ones.

9. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thank you so much for the link! I live in Michigan and our winters are super snowy. I'm wanting to put tarps around the run to keep the snow out. they have exactly what I wanted (clear tarps) and no tax? Great prices as well!

Thank you, thank you, and welcome to BYC!!

~Kelly~
    My Country Chronicles Blog

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by