Taste of Bourbon Red v Lavender v Narragansett

MV Owner

Hatching
Oct 24, 2017
Friends,

Firstly, a big hello here from sunny ol' England.

I would be very grateful for some expertise and guidance on the following. I am a member on other forums but I feel this one would be more suited to the targetted advice I need.

I always cook turkey for Christmas and this year is no different. I always use a trusted supplier who offer a number of different breeds and for the past five years have gone for a 9kg Norfolk Black.

This year I wish to sample a smaller bird of around 5Kg but also a different breed and have narrowed my choice down to either a Bourbon Red, Lavender or a Narragansett. These are the only breeds available and are all free range organic.

I would be very appreciative indeed of anyone who has tasted any of these or better still tasted all three and could give their thoughts on the different tastes that each breed gives. I am good at cooking turkey so am not worried by a turkey that requires really precise cooking to avoid dryness. I am soley focussing on the taste of the bird (which I know is subjective)

Many thanks

MV Owner

Welcome from New Orleans, I too am curious as to what answers you may get regarding your question. You will find some very knowledgable people, who seem to be happy to share their knowledge. Can't wait to hear the responses. Thanks for asking the question! :cool:

Thanks for your help, very greatly appreciated indeed. The Bourbon Red, Lavender and Narrangssett turkeys come from the same farm and they fed with corn and are allowed to range freely outside. I'd appreciate comments on the difference in flavours of the three.

The smaller birds like royal palms and "midget whites" (long story there) tend to JUST BARELY win heritage turkey taste test contests. Between the colors you've listed, the only real difference we can reasonably know is the color of their feathers - anything else that would actually affect the flavor would probably be specific to the exact lines the bird came from, and may not hold true for all or even most other examples of that coloration.

I can't talk to the lavender and tend to agree with @R2elk that what their fed drives flavor and fat. The Nari (at least mine) tend to be smaller than the Bourbon. The differences in flavor are very subtle and it may well be more texture than flavor. I think my Nari's have a bit stronger flavor, but not as juicy as the bourbon. This spring at the suggestion of a friend, I crossed my best Bourbon Tom with a nari that didn't make it to the nari breed pool to produce a batch of red bronze. I felt like the bronze was juicy, tender and very flavorful as it brought the best from both lines to the table. I realize I haven't really given you an answer to your question, but maybe some food for thought.

I'm very curious about this. We never have an option; we just get what's available at the grocery store. So I'm enjoying reading this discussion.

Organic is a good start. But from there I know nothing about turkeys, aside from the wild ones that roam or woods, and that other wild one from my younger years.

Crumbs, as a newbie I'm clearly asking good questions and sparking some debate, all good stuff and a very friendly forum!

So the thoughts seem to be that the Nari has a stronger flavour but perhaps a less 'juicy' (to me that means a leaner less fatty meat) than the Bourbon. Using a thermometer I do seem to get the turkeys cooked just right so I don't need the fat that the Bourbon has to accomodate poor cooking technique. I think I'll go for the Nari as I want a strong flavour (not a subtle flavour)

Back
Top Bottom