Taste of the eggs are different now-updated !

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MamaChic21, Jan 21, 2011.

1. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I have 3 ducks and active 8 chickens who lay eggs on dailey basis. However, for the last 2 months the taste of the chicken eggs are different, not eatable. But the ducks eggs remains the same. I mix starter,scratch and egg laying feeds all in one. The only thing that comes to my mind is that they haven't been eating grass as they use too (due to the snow we've been having) I stopped giving them egg layer for couple of days now and letting them free range on the area snow that melted and still, their egg tastes weird, yukky ! What else can I do, and what is making their egg taste yukky ?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  2. AnnainMD

AnnainMD Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    Not a clue but why are you giving them starter if they are laying?

Mine also aren't able to range in the yard but I regularly give them our leftovers, salad greens and buy them kale/collards/spinach. I also give them sprouted seed but not in any significant amount.

Have you changed their feed at all?

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    What brand of starter and layer are you using?

4. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I'm mixing the starter because I still have 3 young chicks that aren't laying yet. I also give the left overs, macaroni, rice, lettuce, wheat bread, oh sometimes I warm a bowl of milk and put day or 2 old bread in small peaces. They all love that. I don't know the name of it really, I buy them from Agway. I put it in a container and throw away the bag that came with it.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  5. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Of course, the taste of eggs change, with what the chicken is eating... but for them to taste awful, is a mystery... Do you think they might have gotten into something very spicy, garlic or onions, perhaps? I enjoy the taste of my eggs, much more when the chickens are free ranging, but the eggs are still mighty good in the winter... This is a mystery.

6. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    I usually don't continue feeding starter feed after the chicks are old enough to fend for themselves with the other hens, even if they aren't laying, I let them eat what I feed the hens. I do give all my birds some scratch especially this time of year. Only what they will eat in a short amount of time because they will over eat scratch if you let them. Usually the younger chicks do not get in with the older hens unless I have to until it is almost time for them to lay. I have a separate place for the young and they get a starter/grower or finisher feed mix (when I can find it).

7. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    the eggs are not eatable. It tastes and smells like a vitamin (for humans) The shells and the yellow orange yolks looks really healthy. Should I will divide the younger one's and give them starter and for the rest scratch ?

8. Lesa

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Is it medicated starter feed??? If so, that could explain it. I would switch all the birds over to layer pellets, now. A little scratch for all is fine...

9. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I have to check that out as soon as I can and continue to just give them scratch. When I asked the place I get it from, she said it's probably the off season. If everyone else's is eating, why isn't mine then ? But I will do scratch only this time. Thanks everyone [​IMG]

10. Lesa

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    They can't survive on scratch alone- that is meant to be a treat. They really need to be eating layer pellets. The "off season" whatever that means, does not change the taste of eggs to the point of making them awful! My guess is they are eating antibiotic starter feed- and if that is the case, you should not be eating those eggs...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by