Taste of the Wild cat food

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bock, Sep 5, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I switched my cats from Purina ( [​IMG] ) to Taste of the Wild two months ago. They have the softest coats ever now, and seem very healthy over all. My grandma has two cats, and she came down this weekend. I mentioned something about our dog food, and she asked me if science diet was good for cats. I explained to her that for the price she is paying for chicken by-products and corn, she might as well get Taste of the Wild. I personally think Wellness Core is healthier, but we all agree it is too expensive. So, I guess my question is, is switching from Science Diet to TOTW a good idea, or is there something better for a good price? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I feed TOTW. Our dogs and cats have all done great on it.

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Taste of the wild is about the best quality for price that you can get. We've gone through a lot of foods and keep going back to taste of the wild because we cannot find a better deal without driving a long ways for an uncommon brand. Most cats and dogs also tend to adjust to it well. A lot of grain free foods are difficult to switch the animal to because it's so rich and different from their previous diet. You end up with a lot of vomit and diarrhea during the transition. We've switched some animals straight on to taste of the wild with no transitioning and had only minimal issues. I don't think any of the cats have gotten sick for a quick switch to it but my more sensitive dog did have some stomach troubles the first 2 days of giving her canned taste of the wild. In comparison we went through nearly a month of accidents in the house while slowing trying to switch to evo and eventually gave it up.

4. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    I wouldn't doubt she was spending more on the SD. TotW is the best for the money on basically... everything. [​IMG]

5. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Thank you! Our cats love it, and I just wanted to see if other people shared the same experience. [​IMG]

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I agree wholeheartedly, I used to use Wellness, and prefer it, but it has just gotten so expensive, I also have switched to TOTW, it's a great food and my animals do wonderful on it!

7. cutechick2010

cutechick2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

I like TOTW too, I think it's a high quality food, and guess what! It is made of meat! [​IMG] Science Diet is actually a really poor quality food, check the ingredient label, the first thing you will see is.... (drumroll please) CORN! Sorry people, we are feeding carnivores here. Vets recommend the SD junk all the time because they get kickbacks for selling it. Then people think Oh, if the vet is telling us to use it it must be a really good food, right? Wrong.

But I will shut up here, LOL, if I got on my soapbox about SD and all the tons of cat/dog food that is 3/4 corn, by-products, (read offal here) and etc. than I will be here all night! [​IMG]

8. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Taste of the Wild is a really good diet unless your cat has allergies to grains. I found out that my cat was allergic to grains when there was the pet food scare and animals were dying from Melamine in the grains imported from China. I switched to a no grain cat food just to be on the safe side and couldn't believe the difference in my cat that had been doing quite a bit of vomiting up of cat food and having bouts of runny stools. So now I feed both my Bengal cats Natural Balance limited ingredient diet cat food and they are doing great! I think it is about the same price as TOTW. [​IMG]

9. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Pudster loves the taste of the wild,, he calls it mouse, pigeon, dove, .........[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Avla

Avla Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Alabama
    The breeder of our pup used Purina, she pooed a lot and it made her poo rainbow colored. [​IMG]
    But when we switched her to TOTW her poo looks normal and regulated and it's just been 2 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by