Tastiest broilers?

From what I understand all hatcheries buy the same egg stock. So you just have to decide is you want cornish cross or freedom rangers. But I am new to this so maybe someone who knows a little more can help you out.

Yup- as far as taste, there is absolutely no difference because they all get the same birds. Buy from the closest hatchery to you to minimize the travel time.

I like the fried ones best
tongue.png

I think no mater what hatchery I have ordered from, cornish tastes like cornish.

As a follow up question, what can be done to alter the flavor? Like when you fry up an egg that the hen has been free ranging has ALOT more flavor than one that was cage layed.

I'm envisioning having small campfires every evening with mesquite wood to smoke 'em slowly for 8 weeks
big_smile.png

Or additives to the water to internally baste them to taste
big_smile.png

The flavor of what makes chicken taste like chicken basically comes from the skin and fat then what one uses to season the chicken to bring out or enhanse certain flavors. The difference between a confinement raised bird and a free ranged one is the degree of muscle texture due to increaced age needed to reach market weight and expending more energy for added movement during forageing activities. Try cooking a chicken breast with it's skin on and bone in using NO salt or spices and at the same time , but in different cooking containers, a skinless and boneless chicken breast also with NO salt or spices. Take one bite of each one right after the other ( clearing one's palate with water between bites) and then let us know what differences that one observes in flavor. Do this with both store baught or both free ranged chickens to have a true comparison. If one wants to also compare the textures , then make an additional test for one of each of store baught and free ranged.

Back
Top Bottom