Tastiest MiniCow Milk!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by awesomefowl, Aug 9, 2010.

1. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

How much cream do Dexters give?

Zebus?

I know miniature Jerseys are better, but would Dexters work fine as a family pet/milch cow?

THANK YOU!!!!

2. awesomefowl

Also, how many acres are the minimum for 1 mini dexter milk cow, and her baby?

THANK YOU!

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump

3. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I hope you get an answer. I am curious too. We have about 1.5 acres we could fence. I am seriously considering something to milk. I would rather have a cow rather then a dairy goat if the acreage would sustain one.

4. awesomefowl

I know-I do not care for goat milk, nobody in our family drinks much milk anyway, so i thought it would be fun to get a mini!

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I think its around 2 acres per cow but it could be more or less you may still have to suplement with hey and a bit of grain. Dexters have high butterfat content in there milk not sure about zebus. Pasofinofarm (a member here) is a dexter person who actively milks her herd so she would be a better resource then I am. Its often better to have more than one cow or goat because they are herd animals.

Henry

6. Sebrightmom

Sebrightmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    I am with you on wanting a mini dairy cow. I really want a mini jersey but they are expense and that is if you can find one. You can find smaller jersey that would work for you. I have been told you need around of acres of good grass field for a small cow. I have Nubian and Mini Nubian goats right now and love them.

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Where Are The Pics?

8. momofthree

momofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2010
    Skiatook, OK
    we have been researching getting a Dexter and all our research has showed that if you have good pasture organization and rotation, you can have 3 Dexter per acre, and that it is better to have more smaller pastures than few larger pastures for rotation.

9. awesomefowl

thank you for that info...I would have two tiny pastures, and keep the cow in a barn stall at night. I'll probably get a goat to be her friend, since goats browse and cattle graze. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by