tasty, chik fillet, cane and kernel join the family

dstegeman

Hatching
Sep 25, 2015
las vegas
My husband has brought home 4 baby leghorns to join our family. We are new to this and being in Las Vegas I am nervous the heat may play a very troublesome factor. My husband is now working in the adventure of building a suitable coop. For now they nest in a Tupperware container on my kitchen table with an occasion stroll in the yard.

Love love the leghorn! Very friendly. Not all will come up to you or squat, but most of the ones that I've had will. They will talk to you. :)

Have to add, they are on the small size, and those combs probably prefer no cold weather..I think they will do just fine where you are.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. The good news is that Leghorns are one of the more heat resistant breeds. Just make sure that they have plenty of shade, cool fresh water, and good coop ventilation. You can also give them treats like frozen watermelon which will help keep them cooler on hot days. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is loads of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. Cheers.

welcome-byc.gif

We deal with a lot of heat & humidity here in FL. Some of the things that help our chickens through the hottest months are:
* coop ventilation...you can't have too much. Box fans placed to move the air without blowing directly on the birds can help
* shade...again, you can't have too much whether it's natural or manmade
* extra waterers with frozen water bottles inside them to keep the water from getting hot
* our girls love a foot soak in a large plastic tub that's only about 5" high
* cooling treats are good (melon, cucumbers, grapes, etc.)
* with your low humidity, you could install a misting system

I'm sure I'm leaving out some other ideas but there are a lot of posts on this so try using the Search box in the upper left corner for more ideas.

Thanks for joining us!

Back
Top Bottom