Tattoo kits?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mamabird, Apr 8, 2009.

1. mamabird

mamabird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    App. Mtn's
    With my first nigerian dwarf goat babies being born this year, I guess I have to invest in a tattoo kit. Anyone have any suggestions on what and where to get it?

2. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I got mine from Jeffers and I got 2 so that my herd name initals are in 1 and then you have 1 for the year they are born and what number they were...that way you get teh right tattoo in the right ear and it dont mess up or you dont have to keep changing then numbers and letters. Also get the green ink the white fades...

3. chels23

chels23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    S.E Kansas
    Not to steal your post or anything mamabird, but is there a certain size you have to use for certain breeds? I didn't know if registries required goats to have certain sized letters.

4. ThornyRidge

ThornyRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    I believe I ordered mine through Hoeggers and it was marked or noted to be good for nigerians/pygmy goats (the smaller size tattoo outfit) I also suggest getting a second tattoo kit and additional numbers/letters so that you don't have to switch.. I did not the first time I did it and I was covered in green tattoo ink by the time I was done.. I also suggest the green ink too it shows up in any colored goat..also make sure you press hard enough to get a good tattoo.. I found it helpful to have someone help (either squeeze or hold the goat) and then rub the ink in the holes good. I also suggest having a piece of thick cardboard in ( even cut the shape of the goats ear) to do a practice squeeze on to make sure everything is correct before actually piercing skin. And I only got weird looks for a few days until the green faded away from my hands. [​IMG]

5. FlightsofFancy

FlightsofFancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    [​IMG]I use latex gloves when I tattoo so I don't get it on me.

Buy a kit with a clamp that has the ear release. I have used ones that did not have it and hated it.
    Good luck!

6. ThornyRidge

ThornyRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    even with gloves I still managed to get tattoo ink on me.. [​IMG]

7. mamabird

mamabird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    App. Mtn's
    Stupid question - but do you just pierce the skin, or do you go through the ear (like you were piercing the ear of a person?) Also - I see a '300' size - is that what I want to get? I believe it is the 5/16 size. I know green is the way to go - my goats looked like aliens when I got them...we told everyone they had a green ear fungus - THAT got some looks! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by