Tattooing birds for ID

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Hi! I have a friend with issues with chicken thieves and various ID'ing methods aren't effective (she's tried banding, toe punching, etc.)
    She just got a tattoo kit for her goats.

How hard will it be to tattoo her birds?
    I thought 'under the wing' would be a feather-less and inconspicous place to tattoo and easily reclaimed if they showed up at auction. Her stolen birds always end up at auction, but with bands cut off and no way to positively identify them. I don't think the thieves would think to look for an under-the-wing-tattoo.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

2. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    It's worth a try! I know with pigeons they used to stamp IDs on their primaries. But of course you can always pull those out. But I highly doubt a wingless chicken will make it far in an auction [​IMG]

3. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I think I would have to try to find something to catch them before they got my birds, maybe take a bite out of crime (dog) or Game camera taking a pic to give to the sheriff.

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Yeah- a deer camera and a shotgun might be more effective.

5. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    hmm thats pretty neat i dont think it would be that hard just put a number or a letter under there.

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    we use a tatto gun at work to tattoo tails with #'s--the legs resemble tail flesh-both have bones in them too so very agile hands and control are a plus!!

7. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA

I agree!!! This si definitely a situation where a shotgun would do the trick, or a big scary dog.

Though it is a pretty awesome idea to tattoo birds.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    On my birds ( RIR's ) we use 3 forms of identification the first form is a "dummy" leg band like this the second form of ID is a wing band like this and the third is a tattoo in the wing web..
    I take a picture of the tattoo I had put in each birds wing web then load it in a "chicken ID" file on the computer. In the chicken ID file I have a picture of all the birds, there tattoo number picture, wing band number and the "dummy leg band" number..
    That way you can pull up and print out all the information of a bird that was stolen and take it with you all so you have picture proof of the tattoo identification number.
    Now I have to say I have never had a bird stolen (knock on wood) but Id rather be safe than sorry...

Chris

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

I agree!!! This si definitely a situation where a shotgun would do the trick, or a big scary dog.

Though it is a pretty awesome idea to tattoo birds.

I believe the type of theft being discussed is from shows, not from the backyard.

10. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I believe the type of theft being discussed is from shows, not from the backyard.

That's just AWFUL. It must take some nerve & desperation to steal from a venue like that. I mean- really- how much money can they actually make selling a bird with no evidence of lineage?

There are a few people near us that are always at flea markets/yard sales selling lots of stuff. It's obvious that all of their items were stolen from other people's yards- hoses, grills, kids riding toys, sprinklers, lawn chairs.....Makes me sick.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by