Taught the puppy (GSD) a command too well?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Sep 7, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Call me paranoid. [​IMG]
    We try to take the puppy as many places with us as we can. About the only place he doesn't get to go is the grocery store.
    The first couple times we opened the cargo area of the jeep and told him to "load up!", he was a bit scared, but he caught on real quick.
    Now we can't open the door on any of our vehicles that he doesn't load up and quickly.
    I hope he doesn't just jump in anyone's vehicle. He'd be a cinch to steal if he does. [​IMG]
  2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    My dog goes in other people's vehicles all the time, but only if he likes them. We try and have him put away when guests come over, but sometimes we get surprise visitors. He thinks everyone comes over to take him on walks!

The worst is during thunderstorms. One time we had thunder but no rain and I had the door of my car open because I was cleaning it out. I went inside for something and couldn't find Dalton anywhere. After about a half hour of looking, I found him curled up in my car, hiding from the thunder! [​IMG]
  3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I just took him with me on a quick errand. Got back and DH tried to get him out of the jeep. He'd "unload" like a good boy, but then turn around and jump right back in.
    I think he believes every bye-bye includes a trip to Sonic and a hamburger. [​IMG]
  4. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Quote:Obviously he wasn't finished going to town! Back in the truck peoples!
  5. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    When I was younger, my first German Shepherd Dog loved cars too much.

He was good about knowing where the edge of the yard was, and never crossed the line ... then one day, my then-GF, now wife had him out in the yard, and the mail-lady (or female-person, as my dad called her) drove up in her little Jeep. The dog jumped in through the open doors, ready for a ride. The mail-lady ran screaming out the other side.

It took a bit of apologizing for that one. Eventually, though, she started bringing him treats.

He was a beautiful dog, and very friendly. I was always worried if he got out of the yard that someone would steal him.
  6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I had a basset hound that would jump in the car every time the door was opened. He was so bad that it was almost impossible to get him out! One day, I went to the car to get something out, and he decided to jump in. I wasn't going anywhere, so I tried everything short of physically taking him out of the car, nothing worked. So I figured 'well fine, if you want to be in there so badly, you can stay in there!' and closed the door. (It was winter, so no risk of getting too hot). I'd go out every so often and see if he was ready to get out. About 4 hours later he finally got the hint that I wasn't going bye-bye and got out of the car! [​IMG]
  7. Bantamlover23

Bantamlover23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Chuluota, FL
    Quote:That is one way to teach them. HEHE!! [​IMG]
  8. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:That boy wants to GO places! [​IMG]

That 1st burger must have made a really big impression! [​IMG]
  9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If you're truly concerned, just work on getting him to enter the car *only* on command, rather than "hopefully". If he knows Sit it'll be easier, but even if he doesnt, at the very least you can make real sure to never reward him at all for going into a car unrequested.

Good luck, have fun, he sounds like a good puppy [​IMG],

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

We didn't even teach my dog a word. Open a car door in front of her and she will probably jump in.

She DOES know the difference between our cars and strangers though. It took some convincing to get her to jump in my sister in law's SUV when we bummed a ride one night.

One day I was working at my parent's house, and brought the dog along because she can be off leash on their acreage. Dumb dog that she is, laid in the truck seats most of the afternoon. It was even pretty warm, so I opened both doors for maximum air flow, but that's where she wanted to be. I think she's secretly afraid of being left behind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by