1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tax Preparation...who to go to?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rodriguezpoultry, Jan 13, 2010.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I've never done my own taxes, and this year, with three different W2s, it would be too difficult to try and figure out. There is a Jackson-Hewitt rep inside of the Wal-Mart I work at. We get 25% off, but I'm afraid it's going to cost quite a bit.

What do you do for taxes? I did make some charitable donations this year, around $100, then there's medical bills, credit cards...etc.

Who is your favorite company to go with? Do you prefer local private tax prep?

2. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    I use H&R Block. But then again my aunt works there and I get them done for free!

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
  4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Turbo tax all the way.

We have a rental property, trust fund stuff, home based business and a bunch of other nit picky stuff and it gets pretty complicated. I just plug it into Turbo Tax and away I go.
    Your sounds pretty straightforward and simple. Turbo tax is your best bet.

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    With three different W2s I can use Turbo Tax?

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:Yes. The program will ask you if you have a W2. You say yes and you enter the info from it. Then it asks you if you have another, etc and once you say you don't have more, it goes on to the next question.

7. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:Yes! I just did our taxes this morning and had 3 w-2's and I used turbo tax. It is SUPER SUPER easy

8. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    The last time I went to H n R it cost about 300.00 dollars. I couldn't beleive it. I have been using Turbo Tax. Its great and so easy.

9. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Yeah I did 3 schedule C's something that would cost $80 each going to a tax store. One thing I really love about turbo tax is the ability to see how taking each deduction effects the refund. Example I had recipts for a business deduction, but claiming it reduced the refund by several hundred dollars (because it made the business essentially unprofitable), however by not taking that deduction, I was eligable for an even larger sum. Being able to decide each deduction and credit's overall impact helps me to know what to claim and what not to.

10. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

For years we used Jackson Hewitt, but I got sick of seeing them take us for hundreds of dollars just for filling out a couple pieces of paper. For us, there were max 2 W-2s, standard deduction, and the EIC... no big thing. So, I started doing ours myself. I checked IRS.GOV and found one site where you can do it all online, just follow the form, super easy electronic filing and direct deposit. Our refund arrived super fast, with no fuss, and NO FEES. They have other ones, more features I think, that are 9.95+ but the free one includes the E-file, and given our very simple situation, I just went with that.

Wouldn't work for everyone, but http://www.esmarttax.com has been wonderful for us. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by