Taxes on my mind, anyone deduct chickens, chicken eggs or feed

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CDennis, Jan 26, 2010.

1. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    I have raised chickens for two years, and I just give away my eggs. But I started to thinking if there was a way to sell the eggs and then deduct some of the feed costs on my taxes. Of course now I would have to wait till next year, but if I could it might be worth it. I was also thinking about buying raising some boilers and selling them. Anyone done this? Any luck or advice?

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Haven't done it, but I wish I could get them all SSN's so I could claim them as dependents [​IMG] I think Uncle Sam would choke. You would likely have to get a business ID number or something to pull that off, and there may be regulations..probably too much hassle I would think or everyone would be trying it!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My accountant won't let me do it.

Says it's a "HOBBY"!

Go figure.

4. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I do, but they are all lumped under my farm, I deduct my dogs and horses since we breed and sell babies. But I also have to do the paperwork that goes along with it, every chicken I deduct has a folder, yes every one. Since I have close to 50, that's a lot of folders. I keep records on them just like my dogs and horses and deduct feed, lumber etc. But I also include any "income" from them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by