Taxidermied Polish anyone? (GRAPHIC)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by BeardedLadyFarm, Sep 19, 2010.

1. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I had a frizzled Polish pullet drop dead on me last week. She was half the size of her sister, and nothing I tried seemed to help her improve. I suspect something internal was wrong, or it was just a "failure to thrive" case. She acted normal until the morning I found her dead.

Anyway, my friend is a taxidermy artist who has been drooling over my chickens, so I immediately thought of her. (she only mounts animals that were hunted for food, or died of natural causes) Here's what she's done with the bird so far, including photos of the process. I didn't mention the vaulted skull to her, but she discovered it on her own!

http://skinnedeep.wordpress.com/2010/09/19/hen-party-2/

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    That is very interesting! I've never seen any photos of the process myself (never thought of it honestly) but it sure seems like a process and a half...and your friend sure seems to enjoy it. I couldn't imagine all the steps to doing it.

Your hen looks really good so far! I'm wondering what her plans are for the feet....did she tell you?

3. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Ok, thats pretty wild! Almost like a little vodoo chicken doll. Cant wait to see it when shes finished!

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

That is pretty amazing!

5. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Quote:I don't know really. She often puts birds on hats... Turns mice into jewelry... Sometimes dresses them... Lots of unexpected stuff. I really like her work.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Fascinating!

7. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Wow...that is so interesting...thanks so much for sharing!!!!

8. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Quote:I don't know really. She often puts birds on hats... Turns mice into jewelry... Sometimes dresses them... Lots of unexpected stuff. I really like her work.

Hmmm....that just went from cute to morbid [​IMG] I think I'll go back to NOT thinking about mice jewelry and chickens standing on top of peoples' heads [​IMG]

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That's awesome!

10. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY

Hmmm....that just went from cute to morbid [​IMG] I think I'll go back to NOT thinking about mice jewelry and chickens standing on top of peoples' heads [​IMG]

I may be making up the mice jewelry part, but I wouldn't put it past her. She did a cool mouse riding on the back of a flying squirrel though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by