Taxidermy First time trying!* UPDATE* Mostly finished! *pics*

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Attack Chicken, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yesterday I got all the supplies I need to mount a ring-neck pheasant. I only got one this year and skinned him out from tail to beak, Turned out VERY nice for my first time so I'm hoping to get this taxidermy thing down and get into business in years to come. Once I thaw out the skin I will take pictures of the process. I just need to order a bigger body the one I believe is to small [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  2. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    Oo! I'd like to see pictures of that! How do you keep the face intact when you skin it? Will you use an artificial beak for the pheasant, or will you just use the real one?

3. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I am using the real beak ofthe bird. I just skinned it up to the beak and then sawed the beak from the skull but the beak is still attached to the skin. I haven't started yet but I am planning on the pose that it will be.

4. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Can't wait to see it, I am sure it will be awesome!!

5. cedar post

cedar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    My brother does taxidermy.All I can say is be patient and take your time. He does this turkey thing I've never seen before and it keeps him swamped. All it is is the skin and feathers. Show pics when your working on it. Mike

6. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Not sure if I could handle doing it, but I sure would love to know how! Can't wait to see pictures [​IMG] It sounds difficult to do.

7. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Well I started on him yesterday and I took the first 2 steps in pictures then just plain out forgot about pictures [​IMG] I was to excited on doing it LOL He is almost finished besides a minor leg problem (broken bone) which the wire in his leg will not work. I wished I had bought a different next but oh well. I just need to fix the leg and get him onto a stand and drying. He is very beautifull but I think I could of done better... [​IMG]

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Practice makes perfect! I hope you will decide to do some chickens later on!

9. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    We are just getting started with the background plants and stuff. Not sure on how long this will take though. There are some things that turned out very crappy, but as a first time oh well.

10. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I tried it for awhile but I was doing ducks I had promblem sewing and just didn't have the patience and gave up. I just wish I could have gotten hang of it. Because I have a few birds in the freezer and it's going to cost me a arm and leg to get them mounted.

So congrat's and keep at It.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by