Taxidermy?

Goat_Walker

I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Maryland
I wasnt sure where to post this, so move me mods if I am in the wrong place please
smile.png

I collect animal skins, tails, shells and such. I was a Vegetarian for two years, but I cant help it, I love them.

One of my dad's co workers has a son who "hunts" with his truck. He hits deer while driving downt he road or picks them up
hmm.png

Now, even though im not for it, the killing the deer part, he offered me antlers and tails, which I accepted.

But.. The tais still have the bone and meat in them.

What is he easiest was to extract the bone and clean it up so it is some what sanitary to have in my home?

Ive looked it up on the internet but I cant seem to find any good taxidermy explanations.

I have no idea how you would do that, but maybe you could look up a local taxidermist in your area and see if you could get some advice from him.
It's worth a try.
idunno.gif

Quote:
You guys act like you've never picked up a dead deer on the side of a road before!!

Sheesh! If the only thing wrong with it is that it's head is all beat to heck...and it's fresh...eat da sucker!

It shouldn't be hard just cut out the meat and bone out and run borax and salt all over the skin. Try to get all the meat off the skin.

It will be a very basic dear tail.

Quote:
You guys act like you've never picked up a dead deer on the side of a road before!!

Sheesh! If the only thing wrong with it is that it's head is all beat to heck...and it's fresh...eat da sucker!

My dad makes it into jerky when he has a chance
smile.png
But he wont tell me how to skin the darn thing
he.gif

Quote:
Thats all Im aiming for.
Now, because I am a retard in this area of expertise... what is borax?

My husband is a hunter and kills lots n lots of deer. I have to skin alot of them if he kills in the mornings and he goes to work...

It is fairly easy, IMO....but I have done several....

From what I understand, you want to skin the deer hide and keep it? That is a good idea. We do that. We have lots of deer rugs in here and some on the wall and some we sell.

Do you know how to skin anything? Goat, Coon, Fox?

You hang it up by its back legs. There will be a soft spot like in between bones and tendons that the hooks can fit thru easily without the deer falling off the hook/gamble. You then cut the skin around the legs on both back legs/front legs too. Then you cut a hole around the anus to let it drop back into the body. Then you cut from the anus down the belly. Then you start pulling the hide down. Take a super sharp skinning blade and you can work the hide down a little if it is sticking. Be careful as you can rip a hole in the hide. Pull the hide down to the neck and chop the neck/head off with an axe/chopping block. Then you have your hide. You take the brains if you still have them and make a solution (will have to call up the hubby to get the recipe) and let that sit while you scrape all the meat/blood/matter off of the hide. Then you put the solution on the hide. I will check with my husband to get the exacts on this process.

Hope that helped you some.

You can do it!
smile.png

I always make him pick up dead things off the side of the road. Fox mainly. If it isn't ruined and still salvagable then I get it and skin it and use it
smile.png

WAIT....Are you just wanting the tail? Or the whole hide?

Last edited:
Quote:
It's powdered laundry detergant... you'll find it in that section.

You can use the same meathod for any hide (bird or mammal) but it will leave it stiff not soft like commercal hides. To get it soft your'll have to take it to a tanner. But for displaying it should work fine.

Back
Top Bottom