taxing your mileage?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by pokey, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    i don't get it. i am taxed to death, and its just my opinion this won't work.
    if the auto industry is having problems , gas is VERY HIGH, no body has a job to pay for gas......would that not prevent people from driving and spending money? i guess i would feel better if they make the polititians drive EVERYWHERE they go instead of flying and they are not tax exempt.
    [​IMG]

2. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    When I heard about the mileage tax I about fell over. It has been tried by states on trucking industry before. It is unmanageable, how would the government track average consumer mileage. We all know the honor system in general with things like snacks at work don't work. So a over sized government is going do this how without it costing more than it brings in?

3. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    i was kinda happy people were looking at alternative fuels and making changes to driving habits, but gas went down under $2 and then people just dropped the alternative fuels, and someone came up with this. i don't think taxing us is the answer.....

4. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:I'm all for gradually raising fuel tax as long as truckers don't carry the brunt of it. But as fuel tax is raised income tax should be eliminated. People that drive aimlessly for no apparent reason drive fuel prices up. Here the teenagers drive in parking lots for hours in circles. Fuel tax should also be dependent on the current price, as fuel prices rise the tax should decrease to provide relief, and then increase at lower prices to encourage better driving habits. Sorta like how some power bills are structured to provide level payments.

5. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

It would hurt those that live in rural areas. Many have to drive several miles to get to the store, church, medical appointments/prescriptions, etc.

I currently live less than ten miles to most places I need to go which is closer than I used to live. Even at that I group trips as much as I can.

I can imagine that out west it would be even worse.

I wonder what type of effect it would have on vacations and those states that rely on tourism.

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

trains should be used for transporting freight,, their fuel consumption to payload ratio is way better. the milager tax is stupid,, magine the government charging you to see ya gram in the nursing home,, or for taking your kids to the hospital..

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:ooh they better not!!!!...i'll go postal...[​IMG]

8. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Pssst!

*Odometers can be rolled back or disconnected*

But I DID NOT TELL YOU THAT!

My point is: how can they enforce it?

Are we going to employ meter readers like the electric company uses to read car odometers once a month?

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:ooh they better not!!!!...i'll go postal...https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/10638_smiley-whacky110.gif

mileage is mileage,, if they tax you say .005 cents a mile,, you get charged for every mile,, they cant tell the difference between "hospital" miles, and "enjoyment" miles..

right...i hope they dont pass this...UGH!..like we need more taxes here in Taxachusetts....[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by