Tea Cup Pigs.....anyone have any info?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by crzychickenlady, Dec 31, 2009.

1. crzychickenlady

crzychickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2007
    Someone mentioned them last night and I am thinking I want one, BUT...I want to know more about them.

Does anyone have any?
    Know of any issues they may have?
    Does the breeding to get them so small pose any problems to their health?

2. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    as far as ive read, "tea cup" pigs are like "teacup" dogs, there often kept under fed to stay smaller, many often get to standard pot belly sizes, and generally come form the equivalent of byb's

i think its like anything else, you need to do a serious amount of reaserch into them.
    since most of them come from pot belly lines...

3. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    I've never heard of tea cup pigs but I've heard of thimble pigs. IDK if they exist. I have two pot bellied pigs and I wouldn't give anything in the world for my two girls. I would love to know if you find any info on them.

4. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Pot bellied pig rescue groups say that they do not exist. And that they have the results of the unethical breeders that claim to have them. Pots that grew too large for the owners needs.
    I have seen the utube videos of them but you never see the parents, just the piglets. Pot piglets hit the ground running, so a three week old piglet can pass for a 10 week old to unsuspecting buyers.
    Before I would pay hundreds of dollars for a micro mini or teacup piglet I would want to see the adult pigs in person.
    A good place to learn more about this is a yahoo group named pigsaspets.

5. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    I got one of my pot bellies when she was just 7 days old and she would chase my 80lb pitt bull and she wasn't playing either so I can see how easily someone could be tricked. Definately see the parents. Thats what I did when I got my pot bellies.

6. crzychickenlady

crzychickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2007
    I found this site last night when I was looking.
    http://www.teacuppiggies.com/default.html

I also ran across a news report from England on a breeder. Apparently they are a mix of several things...
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/33205603/ns/today-today_pets_and_animals/

I don't know anything about raising pigs at all and am trying to do some research before I even THINK about getting one of these at all!
    I did find a very few places in my state that sell them, but I'm looking at everything I can about them and the care needed before doing anything at all.

From a glimpse they look like a good "house pet", but you never known what has gone into them to make them be that small....and if they really are actually that small.

I'm kind of rambling......sorry...

7. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    to restate what was already posted.....

there's been adds on craigs list out here in vegas... ALOT latley....
    a recap of what they say in that post....

teacups, or mini pigs, are just young potbellies...
    potbellies can breed young, and before they are full grown.. so it's people taking a maybe 4 month old potbelly, who is still fairly small, and breeding it to another the same age, when you show up to buy your mini pig, they say "these are the parents.. look how small they are...."
    so even if you see the parents, unless you have a LOT of experience with pigs, you wouldn't know that those 4-5 month old pigs are not full grown...

there may be runts bred to runts bred to runts ou tthere that are getting smaller and smaller, i assume that's how hte potbelly house pigs got their start, hell, i want a mini cow, hubby said no.. lol...but i would definatley do your research, and ask for references, and ask the references for vet records with dates so you can verify age... but they could show you records for a pig they are not showing you.. if they're trying to dupe you.. they'll lie all the way, not half way....

8. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    I WOULD STAY CLEAR! They are selling what folks want to buy-even if they are not real!
    Back yard breeders are selling "AKC Teacup Yorkies" and there is no such thing! Check the AKC website!
    Save your money and don't support these ripoff artists.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  9. Chickaadee

Chickaadee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Ky
    I found this add in Campbell yard sales.com
    3 Spotted Potbelly Pigs

Updatelower the price till weekend.These three are all boys. They are very sweet and have just been weaned. These are out of the same litter and will stay small. The last pic is of their dad and he is 5 years old. These are handled pigs. They are at the right age to bond to you and house train. You can train them to a litter box just like a cat. Here is my number3 Spotted Potbelly Pigs
    seller info
    happyspots
    from White Plains
    view profile
    I cant post the link but the picture of the dad is super small he says the last one is the dad but to me the biggest one is the one in the middle?

added more info
    On craigs list he says the parents are 35lbs
    http://westky.craigslist.org/grd/1534723717.html

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  10. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    none of those pictures is an adult pig...
    and yeh... they're probly lying about the parents... my mom's potbelly is less than a year i think.. she's been passed around a lot.. poor thing.. but is permanent now.... but she's definatley younger than 5 yrs, and she's well over 35 lbs... and she's still small for the breed... less than half size....

those were very cute little piggies though...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by