Tea for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Luvroos, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Luvroos

Luvroos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    I drink quite a bit of hot cups of green teas during cold months and would like to know if any of you have ever dried your bags and fed it to your chickens? I've heard mostly good things about it and buy it by the 12 packs also. I'm aware of the health benefits for people however unaware of for chickens. Your input for all is appreciated!

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I'd be worried about the caffeine in it... ??

**ooh..Maybe green tea doesnt have caffeine in it? Duh moment.. [​IMG] **

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  3. Luvroos

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    Oh no, I drink the decaf! I don't appreciate the taste of the caffeine that some contain. Sorry I forgot to mention that before, should had!

4. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

My mother in law lives in Ireland and she has kept chickens forever...and they drink ask much (or more) tea as the English...probably between just her and FIL at least 10 cups a day...plus one or two for every visitor. every tea bag that goes through that house winds up in the chicken bucket.. bag and all. Her chickens always look fine to me and she showed me where she hides her egg money and the tin is always full [​IMG]

5. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
  6. Luvroos

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    Thanks for your inputs and article. I like the charcoal, helps to rid them of worms if they have them. I have a space in my yard where I burn broke tree branches and brush and while free ranging my chickens they get a little of that also. I try to give them as close to organic as possible since I don't appreciate other added ingredients in my own foods.

7. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    My girls get tea bags, spent tea leaves, coffee grounds, and the occasional cold mug of tea which gets mixed in with leftover oatmeal and kitchen scraps and heated into a mash in the microwave.
    I usually stretch a teabag or strainer of loose leaves for several mugs of tea because the tea is so strong. There's still good to be had in the leaves even after making several infusions, so what's good for me is also good for the girls. Peppermint...Ginger... Ginseng... Chai spices... Licorice... yum! The girls gobble them all up happily.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  8. Luvroos

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    Glad to know this now! I'm mixing it with yogurt and oatmeal for tomorrows breakfast to see how they like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by