Teach me about this OLD humidaire chest incubator, please!!

chickappotamus

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2015
West Virginia
Ok, incubator experts!
I was given a free ancient looking incubator. I did as much individual research as possible, but I need more. So many questions! I would LOVE to get this thing running this week. Including pictures of plate with numbers and the machine itself.

Haven't plugged this puppy in yet, but it was certainly functioning not all that long ago. All the trays are labeled and it still even smells like a nice wood.

So, just from observing, it doesn't look like the thermometer is reading. The wiring has been fiddled with and taped here and there. There is a spot for a light bulb on the electrical box on the outside(indicator light perhaps?) and a bar for two bulbs as heat source on the inside. There is a plastic coffee jug hanging to put the water. There's a pin on the outside to rotate/tilt the whole drum. I see the wafers on the inside attached to the knob on outside. They don't look like they're in terrible condition. All trays are there, some with plastic blue egg trays in them as well.

Hypothetically speaking, if it does work when plugged in and the wafers move with the knob and control temp and it kicks off and on the way it's supposed to, how exactly does this thing work??How do I manually tilt the eggs with this pin I pull and how often? Is that light socket on the outside an indicator light? What year is this model? Perhaps someone has more sources for a manual or something of the sort? What is the vent hole looking thing on the middle door?!

I know right away that I might have to replace the thermometer and wafers, but we gotta start somewhere! Any resources on ordering parts for this model...?

Hoping for some awesome guidance here! :)
20170527_083148.jpg
20170625_210220.jpg
20170625_210158.jpg
20170625_210315.jpg

20170625_210041.jpg
20170527_083119.jpg

Ok, incubator experts!
I was given a free ancient looking incubator. I did as much individual research as possible, but I need more. So many questions! I would LOVE to get this thing running this week. Including pictures of plate with numbers and the machine itself.

Haven't plugged this puppy in yet, but it was certainly functioning not all that long ago. All the trays are labeled and it still even smells like a nice wood.

So, just from observing, it doesn't look like the thermometer is reading. The wiring has been fiddled with and taped here and there. There is a spot for a light bulb on the electrical box on the outside(indicator light perhaps?) and a bar for two bulbs as heat source on the inside. There is a plastic coffee jug hanging to put the water. There's a pin on the outside to rotate/tilt the whole drum. I see the wafers on the inside attached to the knob on outside. They don't look like they're in terrible condition. All trays are there, some with plastic blue egg trays in them as well.

Hypothetically speaking, if it does work when plugged in and the wafers move with the knob and control temp and it kicks off and on the way it's supposed to, how exactly does this thing work??How do I manually tilt the eggs with this pin I pull and how often? Is that light socket on the outside an indicator light? What year is this model? Perhaps someone has more sources for a manual or something of the sort? What is the vent hole looking thing on the middle door?!

I know right away that I might have to replace the thermometer and wafers, but we gotta start somewhere! Any resources on ordering parts for this model...?

Hoping for some awesome guidance here! :)
This is a new one on me. Never seen such an animal as this. But I'll give you my opinions based on what I have seen.
It looks like you do pull the pin to turn the eggs. Keep it in the middle to load and unload. Tilt it to the front and then to the back. Just like hand turning eggs you should probably do it 3 times a day. Front position for 8 hours, back for 8 and then front for 8. Next day it would be back for 8, front for 8 and back for 8. And it doesn't have to be for 8 hours exactly, that's just a guideline. But always do it an odd number of times a day.
The light socket on the exterior should be wired in with the internal bulbs. When they are on creating heat, the external bulb will light up. This lets you know when it's heating.
The wafer and the micro switch are easily replaceable. You can order them from GA Quail Farm Manufacturing or from Incubator Warehouse. The way that wafer thermostats work is they expand with the heat and press against the switch turning off power to the heat source. When the wafer cools down it contracts and allows the switch to close and sends power to the heat source.
I'm guessing there is no fan inside it right?
That seems it would be difficult to keep a consistent temperature throughout the drum.

It's going to be an interesting project for you. I'll be glad to answer any questions.

This is a new one on me. Never seen such an animal as this. But I'll give you my opinions based on what I have seen.
It looks like you do pull the pin to turn the eggs. Keep it in the middle to load and unload. Tilt it to the front and then to the back. Just like hand turning eggs you should probably do it 3 times a day. Front position for 8 hours, back for 8 and then front for 8. Next day it would be back for 8, front for 8 and back for 8. And it doesn't have to be for 8 hours exactly, that's just a guideline. But always do it an odd number of times a day.
The light socket on the exterior should be wired in with the internal bulbs. When they are on creating heat, the external bulb will light up. This lets you know when it's heating.
The wafer and the micro switch are easily replaceable. You can order them from GA Quail Farm Manufacturing or from Incubator Warehouse. The way that wafer thermostats work is they expand with the heat and press against the switch turning off power to the heat source. When the wafer cools down it contracts and allows the switch to close and sends power to the heat source.
I'm guessing there is no fan inside it right?
That seems it would be difficult to keep a consistent temperature throughout the drum.

It's going to be an interesting project for you. I'll be glad to answer any questions.

Correct, there is NO fan! As far as the vent on the front middle door, is this a way too manually help control heat...?

Not really. It allows fresh air in and can regulate humidity a small bit. I'd recommend getting a few thermometer/hygrometers and check them against each other for comparison. Put them in various places inside to see what the temperature and humidity variation is. With no fan to circulate the air, it's going to be hotter in the center than on the outer edges.

Not really. It allows fresh air in and can regulate humidity a small bit. I'd recommend getting a few thermometer/hygrometers and check them against each other for comparison. Put them in various places inside to see what the temperature and humidity variation is. With no fan to circulate the air, it's going to be hotter in the center than on the outer edges.

Would this middle chamber be designed for keeping the hatchlings or simply to house the heating elements due to the lack of a fan?

No, the chicks would remain in the trays after they hatch until you take them out. The center portion would be for the heat and water pan. Here's a guy that has one similar to yours with lots of photos. http://stefrobrts.blogspot.com/search/label/incubator

If I were restoring it, I'd use a better heat source than light bulbs. Light bulbs would work, but incandescent bulbs are getting harder to find. And I don't think they are very reliable. I think I would try and secure a board covered in sheet metal to the axle in the center and mount a heating element to it. I'd hang a shelf below the axle to hold a water pan. This way, they should remain stable even when the drum rotates. That is, unless the axle moves with the drum

No, the chicks would remain in the trays after they hatch until you take them out. The center portion would be for the heat and water pan. Here's a guy that has one similar to yours with lots of photos. http://stefrobrts.blogspot.com/search/label/incubator

If I were restoring it, I'd use a better heat source than light bulbs. Light bulbs would work, but incandescent bulbs are getting harder to find. And I don't think they are very reliable. I think I would try and secure a board covered in sheet metal to the axle in the center and mount a heating element to it. I'd hang a shelf below the axle to hold a water pan. This way, they should remain stable even when the drum rotates. That is, unless the axle moves with the drum

Very neat! I suppose I didn't think too negatively toward the light bulb concept, but you're right, that would be seemingly unreliable.
Do you have any experience on dating these things? I mean is this thing pre 70s or 80s..?

Back
Top Bottom