teach to use next boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blueheaven, Sep 10, 2009.

1. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    so how do you teach a hen to use a next box???

well, pullet i should say - my girls are 20 weeks.

2. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    OK - theory only here, I don't have eggs yet....Set up nest boxes in a in a darker area or cover part. They seem to like a bit of a sheltered private nestbox. Put a couple of wooden or ceramic eggs or golfballs in the nest boxes to give them a 'hint' where to lay. Good luck

3. randomchick

randomchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Prescott, Ontario
    Usually they get it, using the nest box that is. However I came across some this summer (new barred rock mixes) that just couldn't figure out the nest box. They seemed interested, but almost confused about what to do with it. One actually laid its first egg sitting on a perch(i watched, hehe) to my amusement.
    So, I started sitting them in the nest box 2 at a time (how cozy) and petting them for a good ten minutes, every day. I know, I have no life other than my chickens. Anyways, this has always worked for me, just getting them to realize that the nest is a calm and relaxing place.
    Good luck

4. blueheaven

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    no way would mine let me put them in there and them stay. i can pick most of them up, but they dont just love it.

i have fake eggs in the boxes.

they just started laying - 3 while roosting and today one made a next by the area of shaving next to the platform of the roost.

i know they go into the boxes because i see the fake eggs moved.

hmmm...what to do!

5. randomchick

randomchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Prescott, Ontario
    what kind of nesting boxes do you have, it may just be a matter of a few box changes to make them want to lay in there. Also, they may be turned off by the fake eggs. Sometimes a chicken will think it is someone elses nest and they want their own.
    Hope this helps

6. blueheaven

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    just went out this morning.
    my campine laid her 2nd egg in the nest box for the first time. my other layer still is making a nest up by the roost.

i will try to take out the fake eggs and see if that works.

thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by