1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Teacher Hatching Eggs for Kindergarten Class...HELP!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hzimbric, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Yes! Most definitely.

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No, probably not.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hzimbric

hzimbric New Egg

Feb 2, 2014
    Hello everyone!

I'm Hayley from Tennessee. I start student teaching very soon and hope to raise two sets of chicks for my kindergarten classes. I plan to use the project in an independent research study I am presenting in a few months. I need all of the advice I can get.

Thanks!
    Hayley Zimbric

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

That all depends on what you plan on doing with the chicks once the project is over. If you plan on keeping them or they will go to a good home, then I would say it is a very good learning experience. If you have no idea what you are going to do with these birds once it is all over, then I would say that this is not a good thing to teach young people about the responsibility of bringing life into the world of chickens and then disposing of them. Kids need to know that animals are not just experiments, but are living creatures and deserve to be treated in the proper way.

Good luck in all you do and enjoy BYC!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. I agree with TwoCrows.

5. X2 on what twocrows said, and good luck!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  6. hzimbric

hzimbric New Egg

Feb 2, 2014
    Yes, I certainly have a plan of them going to a good home once they are too big for the classroom. The entire purpose of the project is to show the kids the process of a chicken's life cycle and how to care for living things. They will be feeding and caring for them during the day. At night, they will come home with me. However, I live within the city limits, so I cannot keep them outside once they grow to adult size. I was asking for advice on how to properly hatch the chicks using an incubator and what type of living space would be appropriate within the classroom.

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Great project I provided all the materials for one of my son's classes last year to hatch out
    some chickens and to my delight and the entire class it was one of the better hatches my
    incubator ever produced and not to mention the class cared for the new hatchlings for little
    more then 8 week's then they were listed in the town paper and sold with all proceeds
    going towards the end of the school year BBQ for the class [​IMG] and yes I have been doing
    the BBQ's for his classes for the last 4 years ........

1 person likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    1 person likes this.
  10. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

You will need to have the incubator in a part of the class room where there is no draft's from the doors being opened [​IMG]

What kind of incubator are you using [​IMG]

Temp should be around 99.5 and even as warm as class room's are you might want to keep a towel over the incubator
    when there is no adult supervision around or you leave for the night to help keep the temps correct [​IMG]

You will need a candling light to show what is going on inside and able to photograph for decimation [​IMG]

For more info just ask alright [​IMG]

Let us know when you are ready to set up actually a few days before [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by