Teacher in Va

Meinertzhagens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 6, 2013
Gates, North Carolina
Hello all!
I am new not only to the forum, but to chickens all together. I recently moved onto 2 and a half acres and immediately thought "goats and chickens!" Well the neighbor has goats which immediately ate all of my fall gardens and displays and introduced themselves to the hood of all of my and my visitors cars. Needless to say, my thoughts on goats have changed.
The neighbor also has chickens which they allow to free-range and we love it when they mosey over to our yard. We have decided to introduce chickens to our family in the spring.
I am a teacher and think it would be awesome to incubate eggs in my classroom. I think that candling the eggs so that the students can see them grow would be a memorable experience for my students. I also plan to keep them in the classroom once they have hatched for a week or so.
Having said this I am looking for advice on the right incubator. I have done some research and understand that I will need an automatic egg turner and temperature and humidity controls as I plan on leaving the eggs overnight and over the weekends in my classroom. It is an older building, so the temperature fluctuates. Also, I plan to do this in mid-April in southeastern Virginia, so heat is usually an issue more than cold.
Any input on any of my plans will be considered and greatly appreciated!
Thank you all for your time!
Jamey

A nice basic and inexpensive incubator is Hovabator. For a thermometer and humidity gauge you can order a calibratable humidor model. Google "salt test" for a quick how to of salt calibration for humidity.

This is a combo kit turner and still air Havabator. If you continue looking over winter you'll find nice used models for less and even one with fan and turner used for less but stick with the Hovabator metal disk thermostat when purchasing inexpensive models. The Farm Inovator and Little Giant electric thermostats are not as reliable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HovaBator-E...123?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf2d579d3

Here is a similar therm/hygrometer small humidor model to mine. Work great and easy to calibrate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Digita...403?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af20ab04b

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Goats are not that bad, they just need good fencing and housing arrangements. If you decide to give them a second thought have a browse through the goats section on our sister site, www.BackYardHerds.com. For an incubator I'd recommend a Brinsea. The Eco 20 with the automatic turner would be ideal for you. I basically "set and forget" mine and just top up the water wells every other day. And for everything incubating:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Enjoy the site!

Thank you both, this is exactly what I was looking for.
And thank you sumi for the goat info. Luckily the neighbors have penned thier goats and there is a goat farm across the street, so I get to appreciate them from a distance. Especially in the spring when all the babies are born!

Back
Top Bottom