Teacher info on hatching please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Suess hens, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    I am a teacher who owns chickens, and have posted here fora while, and am planning on passing my addiction over to my students. I know, not very nice of me.
    I teach seniors in high school, specifically 3 humanities courses, where I would like to hatch some eggs. It sounds dorky I know to do this with kids so old, but I mentioned it to them to get a response and they are all excited. And now I am. I really think it will help them take a step back and slow down a little as they are hurtling towards pure adulthood in the next 8 months.
    So, hints for me? I have owned chickens, raised from day olds, but never hatched...well, I hatched duck eggs with my class when I was 6...but I don't remember much other than the pure joy when they started coming out, and how our teacher had us all be quiet so that we didn't disturb the little duckies.

2. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Teacher to Teacher - go for it! My 6th graders get so excited when I talk about my chickens. My high school aged daugher loves the chickens and loves holding them. My 22 year old is quietly amazed by them. My DH chases them down and holds them being totally amazed by their colors and feather differences. Tonight my 22 year old caught one of the BRs and was disappointed when no one else wanted to hold it.
    I think your class will be equally fascinated. Hatch out 2 or 3, make them class pets - good kids get to hold, feed, and take care of them. Make a tractor for outside your room on the grass. Watch the tender side of the "kids" you teach.

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Get a proper incubator not a chick bater. They advertise them as cheap options for the classroom but they suck. [​IMG] You'll be lucky to hatch anything.

and how our teacher had us all be quiet so that we didn't disturb the little duckies.

Sound like a good trick to get kids to be quiet. [​IMG] Actually I've found the little ones love noise. They hatch faster if they hear noise, they settle down better after they've hatched, and they complain less while in the brooder. They really prefer to hear people talking or even the tv going. My japanese bantams line up at the edge of their brooder to watch tv. They actually started feather picking out of boredom when I went back to class and wasn't here to play the tv for them all day.​

4. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:Sometimes the "bad" kids need this responsiblity even more...

My 14, 16, and 18 year old kids get into the hatch also - but more so into taking care of them. It's funny - gotta pull teeth to get them to change the litter box, but they will do anything the chickens need without anyone telling them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by