Teacher Needs Eggs- help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kupi99, Apr 12, 2012.

1. kupi99

kupi99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    I am preschool teacher and for the the past several years we have hatched eggs in my classroom.

Each year I have been able to get a few eggs from one of the kiddos here at school. She has a small flock and usually brings me about 7 or eggs, and then takes the chicks home with her when they hatch. I just found out that her family no longer has eggs or hens, and we are due to set our eggs next Tues.

Does anyone know where I can get a few eggs quickly from? The kind of chick it hatches does not matter. Ideally, I would love to be able to find a place that will take the baby chicks once they hatch as well.

I live in Dallas area, and would appericate any help ASAP.

Thank you

2. wcstory

wcstory Out Of The Brooder

Go on your local Craigslist as post a Wanted in Farm and Garden.

Is there a FFA or 4H organization in your area?

If no luck I have read several stories of people going to the local organic food store and buying free range eggs and hatching them.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Call your county extension agent, in the phone book under county government.

Talk to people at the feed store. They might know someone that can help out.

Find the Texas thread in the "Where am I? Where are you" section on here and post on there.

4. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    great advice from the above two posters.

If you lived locally, I'd help you out, but I don't.

5. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Well, let's bump this one up and try to find someone on BYC in your area to help you out! There must be somebody on here in the Dallas area that will donate some eggs to you. That is actually a pretty good deal. Give away some eggs and get chicks in return. Who's gonna step up? I wish I could help you. I just offered up my incubator and some eggs to a teacher who posted on craiglist asking to borrow an incubator. So do try an ad on CL because I am here to tell you it does work.

6. kupi99

kupi99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Thank you guys, I will try those ideas! I also posted this on the Buy-Sell-Trade section, and several awesome BBC offer to donate a dozen eggs. Unforunately, none were local, and ideally I'd like to find someone local. Also I only have a Brini-Mini, so I can't really take more than 7 eggs.
    I have no idea if there's an FFa or 4H orginization nearby. I live in the city, so I have no clue. I will look into it, though.

If I do wind up going with the shipped eggs from the BYCers, does anyone know of where I could donate the chicks? I could always try placing an add on craiglist, but does anyone know of other options?

Thank you again.

7. laura877

laura877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    Attica, Mi
    If it were me, I would be driving around out in the country looking for someone with chickens. I would sotp in and ask to buy some eggs. Free range eggs around here are 2-3.00 a dz.

8. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI

I'd second this idea. There are chickens everywhere. I would think you could find someone that would be more than willing to help you. If not then how about trying to incubate some Trader Joes fertile eggs. Lots of people do it and you never know what you might get out of them. I also kind of think there is a lesson somewhere in there. The fact that you can incubate eggs that would otherwise be eaten.

9. leirob007

leirob007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Upstate South Carolina
    Here we have a " Small Animal Auction " on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of every month. there are always fertile eggs there for sale. You may have one near you. I'd be happy to donate to your cause if you were a bit closer. If you run out of ideas. or avenues let me know. I'll mail you some of mine From South Carolina. I'm sure I can pack them where they will be alright. They are Brown eggs though and hard to tell much by if your really into showing the candeling process.

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by