Teacher new to hatching, chicks due in a few days

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kupi99, May 15, 2009.

1. kupi99

kupi99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    I am teacher and new to hatching. Our chicks our due in a few days. I am planning on giving the baby chicks back to the mom who gave us the eggs, but we're probably going to have the babies around for a couple of days. What do I need to get for them? I know I need a box and lamp, and water, and that they can drown themselves easily. I also need to know where one goes to buy feed. I live in large city, are there feed stores in large cities? And how do I find where one is? No chance Petsmart would have it, is there? [​IMG] Can I just order food online, and have it get here in time? They are due on Tues and I know they don't have eat till Thurs (assuming they all hatch on Tues). I don't really want to spend alot of money or buy a lot on feed or a waterer as I'm really only going to have them a day or two before I give them away. So something homemade and easy perhaps?

Thanks!

2. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
  3. kupi99

kupi99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    I'll try that. What about a feeder? Do I have to get one of those for a couple days, or can I just put the feed in bowl / dish of some kind?

And a water? Is there something I can use besides the plastic waterer thingy to give them water in? If not I can get one off of backyard chickens, it wasn't too much.

4. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    In a pinch you can just use some card board egg cartons and put the feed in that. If you have a small mason jar you can puncture some holes on the side of the lid, fill with water and place in a sauceror bowl . There is a post on here somewhere on how to make your own feeders. If you are going to keep them for just a few days, no sense spending money unless you plan on doing this again.
    You will need some sort of a brooder. A quick and easy solution is buy a large rubbermaid storage container. Suspend your brooder lamp over the brooder use a rope or some chain. You want it low enough to heat the chicks but high enough to not cause any damage to the container. For feed go to tractor and supply or any place that sells feed.
    Good luck with your chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by