Teacher salaries to be cut again in New Mexico?????

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WriterofWords, Jan 8, 2010.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I took a pay cut to save jobs last year, this year we got no cost of living raise and didn't get the cut back. Now this??? I'm looking for a place to live and place to teach.

NM Teacher Salaries Could Be Cut
    Phil Anaya-KFOX News Reporter
    Posted: 5:40 pm MST January 8, 2010
    Updated: 6:14 pm MST January 8, 2010

Comment On This Story ››

LAS CRUCES, N.M. -- New Mexico state workers salaries are currently at risk, including teachers.

“It always seems like education keeps getting knocked more and more,” said Daniel Rubin, a Las Cruces high school English teacher.

One more big knock could be coming since the New Mexico Legislative Finance Committee recommends the state spend about $278 million less this next year on public schools, higher education and government programs.

“Our classes are already huge, we're already stretched thin, any more pressure on that, it's stealing the kids as much as it stealing from the teachers,” said Rubin.

It's also recommended that state workers including teachers like Rubin could see a 2 percent pay cut.

“It causes me great concern especially if there is going to be less money coming from my pay check every two weeks,” said Rubin.

Two percent can be a lot for teachers. For example, a beginner teacher makes about $33,500 a year and at 2 percent they will lose out on around $670 a year.

“I'm just getting by, especially with insurance rates going up every year,” said Rubin. “I can't take many hits.”

Friday KFOX went straight to a lawmaker to get their opinion on cutting salaries.

“I think there's a lot of other ways we can save money that we need to look at first,” said state senator Sen. Stephen Fischmann.

State representative Nathan Cote told KFOX he also wants salary cuts to be a last resort.
    Copyright 2010 by KFOXTV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Geez Kate, what next???? They are laying off teachers here right and left, charter schools first. Makes me so mad!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Geez, Kate, that's awful! Hope it doesn't happen that way.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    We are stretched thin in our area also, my kids have more than 35 students in their respective classrooms, and last year we lost PE, Library, Music, AND Art. The teachers are responsible for teaching these IF they have time, NO I AM NOT KIDDING!
    I hope it works out for you, sad state of affairs these states are in.

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

My gosh, it sounds just like down here in Florida! I know, my very good friend went into the drop program, and wanted to stay at least until after this year, but the school board said "no", so she was forced to take her retirement now. Why do they insist on always taking things away from our teachers and schools??? [​IMG] I just don't get it! But you can surely bet, the higer- ups and certainly getting their "just desserts"! [​IMG]

7. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
  8. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    We are stretched thin in our area also, my kids have more than 35 students in their respective classrooms, and last year we lost PE, Library, Music, AND Art. The teachers are responsible for teaching these IF they have time, NO I AM NOT KIDDING!
    I hope it works out for you, sad state of affairs these states are in.

what state?​

9. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Quote:what state?

AZ

10. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    wow Kate, that sux.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by