Teacher salaries to be cut again in New Mexico?????

sad.png

So sorry to hear it. My husband isnt a teacher, but he was laid off in June. A lot of our friends have lost their jobs. They say the economy is better... but I just dont see it. seems like everyone I talk to is either taking pay cuts, or losing hours, losingjobs... barely making ends meet. Just know you arent alone... and a lot of people understand how you are feeling. Its bad when you have to park in the street at the unemployment office, because the parking lot is full.

Quote:
Last year lots of teachers were laid off here. Seemed like most of the districts were doing it. The cost of living is higher. (I know a couple people who moved to the South East because of the cost of living here) But there are pockets of affordability around here, and the farther away from Seattle you get usually it gets less expensive.

So sorry you are facing this.

Imp

For everything it is like watching a tsunami. I have been watching it for three years. Hours are cut, shifts are eliminated, then layoffs, then plant closings... now, it hits me and my family. I will make less than half my salary
sad.png
Reduced from salary to hourly. We don't know how we can afford the house and light bill... let alone eat. We have till the end of the month till the reduced pay kicks in.

I am looking for new job, but that means we need to move, and we love it here.

I thank God for the chickens that supply us healthy nutritious eggs, too. Even my silkies are pitching in
smile.png

My heart goes out to everyone who suffers as well.

I still try to smile and keep my head up.

Totally agree! Sounds corny... but sometimes it feels like the only thing that keeps us going is our "chicken therapy" May not have much right now... but just to be able to go out and collect the eggs somedays brightens the day a little bit
smile.png

My chickens and ducks are the bright point in my life right now. I have to cut back on them too and it's like choosing which of my children to let go live with someone else. I'm sorry to dump on everyone tonight, just seeing that headline on AOL blew my mind, what was left of my mind anyway.

Quote:
I know how you feel Kate. It has been a whirlwind of bad news for you lately!!! Try and hang in there, and you know I am only a phone call away. I feel your frustration too - transit has been robbed by the state of CA lately to the tune of $45 million dollars, and they actually WON their suit against the state. However, until that money is repaid, we stand stagnant.

Quote:
Yes but with the foreclosures and bad economy less taxes are being paid. What other choices do they have? It is a shame education has to suffer.

Our local school district employees (teachers and everyone else) unanimously voted to take a pay cut this last week in order to avoid having to lay off emplyees and cut anything else for the students.

What's a cost of living raise? I don't believe we've ever really gotten one......but our farm expenses and taxes keep going up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom